Wednesday, December 10, 2008


The very last bits of coursework are in and done.
I hand delivered the hard copies this morning and finally I have those precious hours to fill with other things. A corner of my brain has been swept clear and there is space at last.

Satisfaction that it is done and a weight lifted, more so than I had thought.

So, in response to Gilly,
Santas beverage of choice.. a tricky one...

Whisky makes him very silly...I am sure of that.. have heard tales :)
so brandy has always been a good option - he has always left the right presents for the right people...

though I have been viewing a couple of recipes we might just have to try..

Mistletoe Mojito courtesy of Scarlet

1 oz. fresh lime juice

1 tbsp. superfine sugar
8 fresh mint leaves
2 oz. white rum (optional)
2 tsp. pomegranate seeds
4 oz. Pomegranate 7 Up
1 mint sprig
1 lime wedge

Pomegranate seeds

1) In a highball glass, muddle lime juice, sugar and mint leaves until sugar is dissolved.

2) Add rum and pomegranate seeds. Btw, the rum is NOT optional. (It's not a mojito without the rum!!)

3) Fill glass with ice and top with Pomegranate 7UP.

Garnish with mint sprig and lime wedge.

Makes 1 mojito...so you may want to double (triple?) the recipe. ; )

Enjoy!

or courtesy of Allie,
egg nog

4 egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
1 pint whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
3 ounces bourbon
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
4 egg whites

In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the 1/3 cup sugar and continue to beat until the sugar completely dissolves. Add the milk, cream, bourbon and nutmeg and whisk to combine.

Place the egg whites in a different bowl of a stand mixer and beat to soft peaks using the whisk attachment. With the mixer still running gradually add the 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.

Whisk the egg whites into the mixture. Chill and serve.

{Makes 6 to 7 cups.}

or even one of these courtesy of Violetsky..

(Bloody) Caesar New Variation

Rim a highball glass with lime and sea salt and fill halfway with ice

Into a cocktail shaker with ice add
1.5 oz Bombay Sapphire Gin,
5 oz Clamato juice, (best with regular Motts to get the full flavour of the Bombay Sapphire)
pinch of cayenne pepper and a pinch of Worcestershire
and ROLL gently to blend.

Strain into a highball glass

Adorn with celery stick, carrot stick, pickled onion, or lime

Sip

Relax

Sip

Relax

But seeing as I haven't a clue who he is or what his prefernce is.. it's a game of chance ;)

It's also time I played along even just once - and I know it's early, but what are rules for...?
Carmi's theme for this week is bright..
as I drove along the coast in the dusk suddenly the sun peeked out from the edges of the cloud, giving a beautiful lining and lit up the whole sky again...if only for a short while.

I have missed playing with my camera while I have been studying - I think it's time to play again :)

Oh and all this week I have been convinced it's friday - which is making it go very slowly...if we could just hurry it along a little please :)

5 comments:

Gilly said...

For one awful moment I thought you were going to put mistletoe berries in Santa's drink......... ;)

But lovely recipes - perhaps Santa could choose by sampling them all....

Wonderful photo too. How lovely to say "I drove along the coast.."

Seem to have overdone the .......! :)

Rainbow dreams said...

lol Gilly - no, we will keep mistletoe for other reasons!
I am sure he could sample all :)
The coast is something I do appreciate - I particularly missed it when I lived in London and Birmingham

Your comments alway lift my day.. never worry about the .... :), x

Pam said...

came via thematic photographic. nice photo :)

Pam said...

p.s. i'm up here : http://herroyalness.blogspot.com

VioletSky said...

Pomegranate 7UP?? What am I missing on this side of the ocean?!

Thanks for the link - that reminds me, need a drink for wrapping gifts...

Must be a HUGE relief for you to be done the coursework. Congrats.