Friday, December 05, 2008

Our best bits..


Today I looked down at the start of a class and saw the most incredible pair of eyes looking back at me, wide and blue, fixated, waiting intently, and listening. It was the start of a lovely class.
A class where yet again the class teacher was surprised at the end to see how much the children had learned, and in which the children themselves were surprised and proud.

The very best bit of what I am doing now, and the reason why I wanted to somehow get back to doing it in some form, is seeing children suddenly discover that they can do something and do it well...that sense of pride of achievement in themselves.
I love it when they go out of class shining and happy with themselves, feeling good.

We do things for so many reasons, our desires are often driven by something very deep rooted in us.
If children believe they can, then they often can and will, and nurturing that sense of self belief stems from something deep in me.

It got me thinking about our best bits.
What are your best bits?

Truth is, it's so easy to only hear about the less favourable sides of ourselves and to believe in them, and easy to forget, or not to focus on, our strengths.

It is so easy to end up introverted and negative and down on life and ourselves when all we hear is the tedium of what we should have or could have done more of, or better...

which is why I decided it's time to shake off the winter blues, and give some time to embracing my best bits.

The things I do well, the things other people say I do well, the compliments people pay, the things that make me feel good,
to take them onboard and integrate them into my thinking.
Time to enjoy achievements rather than dwell on downfalls.

Time to enjoy the very best bits of me, just like the reflection in the smiling eyes of a child when they succeed.



oh and I thought it was time for a change of scenery round here too :)

13 comments:

Walker said...

When fear becomes confidence and knowledge sheds light on the unknown opening a new world up for those trying to learn and for the teacher there is nothing brighter than seeing realization spart in a childs eye and knowing she put it there.

Jayne said...

Love the new shade of soothing blue! Indeed, we often focus on our weaknesses, but we possess so many strengths! We need to give ourselves the pep talk we allow for others so freely. Blessings to you friend.

Julie said...

Love the new look, and the lovely pic of the beach - I'm tring to resist the urge to change mine - again!

xx

Gilly said...

You have really made me think! I find it so easy to be negative, so I am now going away to se if I can find my best bits!!

Lovely photo, too! I rather fancy walking along there!

Rainbow dreams said...

Hi Walker, what a wonderful comment.. :) thanks for visiting

Jayne, hmm yes it was needed :) and to you, x

Jules, thank you... the photo was from the summer in Herm... I still want time to play with my camera and to learn more about it, am feeling I might again soon.
There's nothing like a change now and again...
no rules here in blogland about redecorating too often!x

Gilly, Thank you too, I am sure there are many - it was a wonderful stretch of beach :)

much2ponder said...

I absolutely love this post! This is so true and for adults as well as children. Fact is, we adults dwell on those less favorable traits due to the way we view ourselves based on how we were treated by others in our lives growing up. Perceptions of ourselves rest largely on how we "think" others see us. We fulfill many prophesies that were never meant to be because of this.

Working with some of societies forgotten, I have found it is hard to break through at times into the adult mind because it is so clouded with the wrong message.
The child is still inside waiting for someone to recognize their good traits, talents, gifts and such.

The men I teach sometimes come into my classroom with low expectations and a negative attitude. It isn't until they begin to believe they can do something more, that they begin to brighten up. Then I can viably see a change in them. They come in with a bounce in their step and even a smile. Such a blessing to my heart when this happens.

I look at some of them and my heart just melts for the child inside that went unrecognized.

Rainbow dreams said...

m2p - thank you so much! What you say is so true. The adult mind can be so hard to break through, whereas the child's mind has less years of hardening to get through...

Yet we all harbour the child inside us which needs the recognition of all those things, and which in turn lets us show that to others too. Amazing the power even a glimpse of possibility and hope can give. You are indeed a blessing to those you teach.

There are so many who are denied a childhood, it is hard to imagine what their lives really are and were like.
All most people want is acceptance of who they are.
Thank you for coming by :)

Gilly said...

I asked my husband what was good about me! After a VERY long pause he said "I suppose you are good at putting up with little things"!! But Sue gave me a glorious flattering list, so I feel really good!

Rainbow dreams said...

Hi Gilly, am so pleased you have a long list, it's important :)

Anonymous said...

What a rewarding job you have Katie. To see that bright hope and pride in a child's eyes must be a huge validation in what you're doing and what you hope to achieve.

I must confess that I am quite honest with myself about my good and bad points. I try not to focus too much on one or the other just as I don't with anyone else. I think it's important to treat ourselves with the same respect with which hopefully we treat others.

Rainbow dreams said...

Hi Gypsy,
I am certainly pleased I changed - that this post came up and I went for it :) Life changes and I had been stuck for a long time..
I'm quite honest with myself too, generally - but sometimes people will try to wear us down...and I needed to nurture that resilience again :) It is important to respect ourselves as well as others.
It is lovely to see you, thank you

Marja said...

Good one everybody needs to hear how good they are and especially we need to hear it from ourselves.
At work they call me the PR woman
(positive reinforcement) It was quite a revolution here. When you give kids a reward here when they do well they call it bribing Ridiculeus.
It is not easy to make children in a home feel good. That's why I always say they need 30 times more positives than anybody else. It is hard to change peoples ways however
and eventhough they see I get results, adults stick to their ways.

Rainbow dreams said...

Hi Marja, Why do we search for a term that takes away from what we are doing.. bribery... well it works!!
Adults can be stubborn and inflexible, we tend to play out what we have experienced to a degree I think - as far as giving of love and encouragemenet I think anyhow..
Am pleased you give out the positives.
We certainly found when all else failed if we stuck to that - blatently ignoring the difficult behaviour and praising the good that it turned around faster than we imagined!
It is easy to become frustrated though...