Thursday, December 18, 2008


Last week, when I was looking for my PE kit in the cloakroom,
I saw an angel.
She was hovering above the coat hooks, smiling at me
and waving a long white hand.
Her silver wings were trembling
And her golden halo shimmered in the sun.
This morning she was there again,
smiling and shimmering,
Flapping and fluttering,
Waving and trembling.
She looked beautiful.

I told my teacher.
"Miss, there's an angel in the cloakroom."
My teacher gave a little snort."An angel?"
She looked around the cloakroom but the angel had gone.
"Too much television," she sighed.
"Too lively an imagination.
A daydreamer, that's what you are.
Angels indeed! Whatever next?"
She smiled and shook her head,
And then picked up a shining feather
from the floor
And put it in the bin.

Gervase Phinn

Makes me wonder what other things children see that adults write off... how quickly we dismiss their fanciful ideas.. perhaps we should indulge them now and again?...*


One of the lovely things about Christmas shopping is it invariably sees me gravitate towards bookshops and music...
the problem with books is you just have to have a sneak preview before you give it to someone.

Am loving this small book,
"Twinkle twinkle little stars", there are some really lovely stories in it.

* am also thinking that if we only look we will see the marks angels leave. Have come across a couple of very beautiful angels today, disguised as humans... uncanny how that happens!

7 comments:

Disillusioned said...

I love Gervase Phinn's stuff. He was an advisor when I was first teaching in Yorkshire and I have dim memories of hearing him speak at some training event.

VioletSky said...

I had to look up Gervase Phinn, and was glad I did from the little bit I found. I do really like the example you chose.

Jayne said...

Oh, we know they are all around us. ;c)

Anonymous said...

The wonderful thing about angels is that they don't always have wings nor beautiful white dresses. Sometimes they are just regular people with giving and generous hearts. I'm glad you managed to come across two of them today :)

Rainbow dreams said...

Hi Caroline,
I think he'd be really fun to listen to from the little I've read so far!

VioletSky, Thank you - there is another I really liked - might post it in part later.

Jayne, Thank you - they are, and some are way over the pond in Chickadee ;)

Romany gypsy, most often I find they don't have all the trappings, a giving and generous heart is all we need :) Thank you

Gilly said...

I love Gervase Phinn, too. Lovely anacdotes! And as for angels, well, there are more around than we realise. Its surprising how they turn up!! :)

Anonymous said...

This is lovely, and the image you chose to accompany this is beautiful.