Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Blessings of blogging...




Silently, one by one,
in the infinite meadows of heaven,
Blossomed the lovely stars,
the forget-me-nots of angels.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


You just never know where and when you might meet a new friend, when instead of merely brushing close to someone, your paths cross over and somehow interlink. When a passing encounter will turn into a closer friendship... A comment or a smile, eyes meeting, coincidences (although I'm not sure there ever are such things) take you on a new path together, a stranger beomes a companion on our journey.

Friends are true blessings, especially when we might not be blessed with a great deal of family.

It was sheer curiosity that started me blogging. A strange word - and world - I had to find out about...what would drive someone to blog... what was it all about?

But the blogging natives seemed friendly enough...and if you left a comment they might reply... and what is more it seemed you really could get an idea of what someone was like from their blog over a period of time...

Paths crossed and some connections were made.

Regular reading and comments back and forth, and then e mails mean you get to know some part of someone and it's a strange thing but friendships develop.

I have come across some really lovely people since I started this almost experimental pastime and was completely taken aback and lost for words when I went to claim a parcel that I missed being delivered and found it was all the way from America, from Jayne at Journey through grace.

Jayne loves her birds and I have been inspired by her to take more notice of our feathered friends that visit our feeders. I have a beautiful new mug and plate and am also amazed they travelled so l in the mail.

I have been enjoying my many cups of tea in it whilst trying to focus on my portfolio - it is gorgeous , thank you, x












Until now there are only a handful of people I know in real life who know I blog - and it's something I want to keep just for me... (various reasons...)

next month I am travelling over to meet up with Dana in London when she visits.

I'm not sure what I am going to say, how I am going to explain the connection to my parents as to why I am going to London to meet someone I met on the internet... I am so careful with my children and the net...I know the hazards that are out there... I can hear my parents now if I were to tell them the truth...but this is different...these people are lovely, nice people.

It's just how does one explain?




13 comments:

Anonymous said...

A timely blog indeed
i've been um ing and ar ing about adding your blog for ages.
T'will be done tonight ( if you don't mind?)

It's strange isn't it?
Our world has changed so much in such a very short time.
In twenty years we've gone from waiting for the daily post to casually chatting each day via blogs or forums.

But it's all down to relationships and friendships.....and some people find the internet a great way to communicate.

All good.

Under there... said...

Yes, I rather like the fact that the world is becoming a smaller place because of the blogosphere. It is funny how connections are made simply by which blogs one is drawn to.I am glad to be a part of the connection.

Baby-Sweet-Pea said...

I read this post feeling as if I had written it. I too started blogging "just because." I write about whatever touches me that day and I appreciate the comments and perspectives I receive.

By reading a blog regularly you come to know a person on a totally different level than if you were sharing a beer or a coffee and chatting. The post's content can seem more intimate. Friendships bloom for totally different reasons than if you were to meet someone face-to-face.

Very few of my friends know I blog and I quite like it that way. They know most of my day-to-day anyway. Besides, this is a chance to connect with different people on a different level.

I have no doubt that you will have a wonderful time in London with Dana. It is a friendship that was meant to happen.

I'm very glad you have become part of my daily routine.

Cheers to blogging buddies. : )

Disillusioned said...

Like you, I have told very few people who I know in real life about my blog. As far as I know, no-one who "knows" me reads it and I would like to keep it that way.
I have met up with one blog contact, the lovely Sally, who I met at a concert (and hope to meet again at a forthcoming event). How to explain is hard. do you need to? Can't you just tell your parents that you are meeting "a friend" from a long time back?
Am sure you will have a wonderful time. Wave northwards in my direction while you are in London.

Rainbow dreams said...

Hi mmp - thank you for adding me..:) Sorry I never asked before adding you.
All ways of commnication are good - I still love receiving letters though...something special about them.

under there, I'm so glad you are part of the connection too - it does kind of join up this round world we live in and bring us closer together somehow.

Cheers babysweetpea - it's good to have found your space too, enjoy your holiday...

Caroline, I think I will have to - mainly as I just don't lie well at all...transparent...
all other options apart from the truth fall down in some way, I just fear they will not understand and it will cause them anxiety they need not have..
I will find a way that keeps my space for me here though... I'm hoping the not making much of it will reassure.
I will certainly wave northwards :)x

Caroline said...

great post!

there are indeed some very special people in the blogging world.
thanks you all for being in mine

x hug
xc

awareness said...

Hey Katie!

I am really looking forward to meeting you. I'm convinced we won't have any quiet pauses... :)

Blogging is a strange phenom....the friendship intimacy normally only experienced through face to face conversations definately is real. No doubt about it, but trying to explain it to anyone outside of it and many look at you like you've lost your mind!

Blogging has been a world opening experience.......it reminds me so much of my penpals etc when I was young. I wrote MANY letters....fancy that? And now, it's instantaneous..... no waiting for the mail to be delivered. I love it......and LOVE the fact that I have connected with people all over the world. One of the really COOL things is that I have virtually/online met three Guernsey-ites!

I understand your trepidations as to how to explain it to your parents.......who may or may not even know about the blogging world etc. So..........what can you tell them about me??

Hmmmmm........ will have to think about it. But for God's sake, don't tell them I have done time in the women's penn! :)

awareness said...

oh, I know............tell them I'm a dog lover!

Beth said...

Katie - Jayne is amazing, isn't she? I love this post; I feel the same way! I am about to meet some friends from another state who are coming to visit, and it IS difficult to explain how and why you would trust someone that you only know through the internet. For me, these have been some of the most powerful and healing friendships that I've ever experienced - even when I've never met the individual in 'real life'!

I'm glad you are feeling blessed!

Caroline said...

'knowing someone through greenbelt' usually works for me (within limits)and is generally true since most people i've met online have come upon me through Pip or rev K or another greenbelter blog....

Caroline said...

'knowing someone through greenbelt' usually works for me (within limits)and is generally true since most people i've met online have come upon me through Pip or rev K or another greenbelter blog....

Rainbow dreams said...

Thanks Caroline, you were one of the first and I thank you for it, x

this year wil be the first greenbelt year but I think Pip might feature in my explanation - Blobs form a connection which might link in...

Dana, I am looking forward to it too - you never said about the women's penn - just the crack....!! ;)
I'm not sure they have even heard of blogs - I think the word would throw them into confusion and mayhem.... will stick to internet!
A very good friend the other evening spoke about this small place, in relation to size not being everything! He is right you know!!! Quality resides on this island - thats the other two - not me I mean!

Beth, she is amazing - you are too.... let us know how the visit goes.

Am thinking a lot about instinct and intuition lately....

but there is something far more real and telling about blogging as opposed to face book just for example I think...

Jayne said...

I am so happy it arrived in one piece Katie! Enjoy your tea time with the little wren. Your friendship has enriched my soul. :c)