Have been catching parts of Extreme dreams - a programme which has followed a group of people as they attempt to climb Mount Kilimanjaro. The fittest of them was struck by altitude sickness and has had to come down the mountain on the last day. It's actually quite scary, even though I know it's possibly enhanced slightly for good tv viewing.
I still haven't given up hope that I might get to do this, added in is the fact that a very good friend has now decided she is definitely doing it too, and I think it would be really great to climb with her.
However, this programme has made me face the reality of what I'm thinking of doing. Only a few days ago it seemed that everyone I met knew someone who had done it or was going to do it and the challenge seemed lessened purely by the number of people I was aware of who had been there, it was almost no big deal.
Now the balance has swung the other way, R and the kids have been watching the programme too - there are serious risks involved, and this isn't a decision just for me to make, and it's not just the time I'll be away, it's very much a family decision...
I suppose for me, it's also partly about turning it around and thinking if it was R who wanted to do it would I be happy for him to, or would I feel strongly enough to try and stop him...
At the end of it all I guess some decisions just need to be shared.
Thursday, September 28, 2006
Second thoughts?
Posted by
Rainbow dreams
at
Thursday, September 28, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Hi there.
There may be a lot of people contemplating such a challenge, but few that act on it dream.
I had the same feeling when I decided to take a year off after uni to backpack. It seemed like everyone I knew was planning a trip to Europe. It made my plans feel not so special. When I got over there and started on my journey, I quickly realized that very few really do go ahead with it.......and the ones that do.... well it felt like a kindred community of vagabonds and dreamers. I loved the people I met trekking......from all over the world.
Enjoy the planning and the discussing and hopefully the doing if it all works out that you can swing it.
Cheers.
I was in the Everest region about five years ago and the altitude is crazy. The altitude did not pick favourites, anyone could be struck by it.
Anyone who follows their dream and even attempts to make the trip is awesome in my books. I say keep it on the list and go for it.
Scott
If you move forward with this and it is a decision you make together, it will be a wonderful thing for your family. Your kids will see a great example of how to be a healthy individual in a respectful relationship with others. Proceed carefully and enjoy the process - I'll be cheering for you if you go!
Thanks everyone, have just got back from a ball raising money and awareness for this charity, am really hoping I can go, will be gutted if I can't, especially as there is such a great team of women going, no doubt if I do get the go ahead it'll spill out on here! :-)
Post a Comment