
It's that time of year again, we've been gathering conkers from the trees in my parents garden - as yet children are still allowed to play conkers in the playground over here.
Each year similar discussions take place on how to get the best (hardest) conker and to that end we still have some left from last year.
I have to say though that there is a luscious quality about a fresh shiny rich red/brown conker that one stored for a year just doesn't have.
However, that's not the most important thing to the children, so shrivelled, hard ones are better as long as they are winning!
I'm also quite taken now with the idea that they can keep spiders at bay, so I might just keep some of these newly collected ones back for the house!
Sunday, September 24, 2006
Posted by
Rainbow dreams
at
Sunday, September 24, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
lolol glad that conkers aren't an H&S risk everywhere just yet! never heard of the spiders theory tho - do tell more!
OK, so I'll bite... what the heck is a conker? They don't look familiar to this North Georgia girl's eyes in the least!
Uhhh... duh... next time I'll click on your lovely provided link first! Buckeyes! Aha!
They take care of spiders? That is awesome!
do you still go out and play conkers?
Scott
Caroline, my aunt now swears that by keeping conkers in her room spiders don't come near.... I think it's worth a go, even though I'm not too bad with them.
Santzmom, I wouldn't have had a clue if you had called them buckeyes! Kep meaning to ask if you have an e mail contact address?
Jules, thanks for popping by, it's good to see you, you talk about far more meaningfuul things than I do on your blog, but I keep on doing what I do, as I pick up on others wisdom :)
And Scott, I'm certainly going to try the spider thing and of course I play conkers... having kids has meant I engage in many ways previously unthought of - I will rollerbalde, have been ice skating, will play football, cricket, and have widened my sphere of interest no end! :-)
Katie, you can reach me at:
blessingsabound@mac.com
Post a Comment