An afternoon spent in my parents garden - a garden I helped plant several hundred trees in when I was about 7 or 8. It's evolved and developed since then - greenhouses have come down, tree houses put up, drainage ditches dug and boggy areas reclaimed as grass. Its a wonderful place with football goals and a trampoline - a garden where children can run and climb and play, and dogs can be free - it's not pristine but is truly beautiful. Last years Christmas tree is growing well, the childrens chestnut and horse chestnut trees we planted from the chestnuts and conkers when they were just born, are now taller than they are. It's peaceful and quiet and great for bird watching.
Today both children happily mowed the lawn under the watchful eye of my Dad - taking it in turns to drive the sit on mower - a practicality with the size garden they have.
Back in their garden I am a child again - the adventures we had as children - discovering treasure - old coins before the vegetable garden was turned into the orchard - collecting all the fallen branches after storms and making dens with them, climbing trees and making tree houses in our minds as we didn't have the fantastic home made tree house my children have now.
There are trees remembering special people - including our dear friend who helped design a garden that required minimal maintainance with maximum beauty - his imprint is all over it... so many plants of significance, gifts from various people
And then there is the old cart - over the years there have been plans to restore it - I'd still like to but do like it in it's old and ruined state........ the places we went and the stories we told sitting on/in that cart....
It is a magical mystery tour - a fantastic way to spend an afternoon :-)
Wednesday, July 12, 2006
A magical mystery tour..
Posted by
Rainbow dreams
at
Wednesday, July 12, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
So much fun! The place I grew up has changed so much that there just isn't a lot to remember when I go back. I'm glad you can go back and enjoy your parent's garden. :)
Your post made me remember how many vivid memoires I have from my grandparent's house... From the huge black hickory nut tree (we used to crack them on the sidewalk) to the muscadine grapes and cherry tomato vines, and the ever burned image of my grandfather with hat on in his garden hoeing corn. As a kid, we never had anything out of a can. It was all fresh or frozen veggies from his garden. Mmmm... nothing like it! Sweet memories...
I love it - they have fresh fruit of all kinds, not many veggies, but we have over the years - it takes up so much time - it's kind of healing being out there, just a shame my hayfever is so bad really!!
Post a Comment