Thursday, April 02, 2009

light relief... or not! :)

Much filling my mind at the moment -

so to relax we turn on the television -

First up is
"Would you save a stranger?"
well would you?? a stranger being attacked, would you intervene? Something I have often wondered would I be strong enough to do it? Would I help? I hope I would, I hope some one would help my children if they needed someone to..
yet I know it's not an easy choice when your life may be at risk... and not what I am teaching to the children in my lessons, that they must not put themselves at risk, but must call for help...mmm

then followed by
Teenage sex vs pornography..
the last in a series that perhaps we should have recorded or let our eldest watch.. or both...
but we have tried to be good about bedtime, and after the watershed I admit I didn't want even more questions to keep us up even later, and so we switched a couple of nights ago to "only fools and horses", a far safer option pre-bedtime.

I always thought we were very open talking about sex and any subjects as they came up but now it's relevant I am questioning if we have been as open as we thought.

So, there we have it, a relaxing chilled out evening by the tv.
Nothing to worry about in that little lot... so do sleep well and please don't have nightmares!! to paraphrase the ending of another tv show.

so much for my light relief! ;)

and till tomorrow when I may have something more exciting to blog.

I am curious and interested ~

do you think you would save a stranger who was being attacked?

and do you think / wish you had had more sex education at school and if so what would you have liked/ needed at what age?

PS: if anyone is waiting for replies to e mails I haven't forgotten, but our pc keeps falling over and so I only have our mac with no regular e mail access... am working on it though :)

8 comments:

diver said...

Sure, I'd intervene if it was only one attacker injuring a woman or a child. I think the real problem is multiple attackers, gangs and groups of adolescent boys. What does one do then? I hope I never get asked the question.

Anonymous said...

in the past i have intervened. spectacularly so.
does my current area mean i'm more wary now? i think so.
would i round here? answer uncertain

sex? oh it's all an uncertainty isn't it. i think,looking back...a place to talk with others would have been good. Anything to shift a whole heap of urban myths that till stubbornly hang around the ether. Oh My.

Gilly said...

I might have intervened in mmy more agile days, but now, I'm not sure. Might whack them with my stick!!

Being educated in the 40's and 50's my sex education was virtually nil! We did have a highly embarrassing biology lesson given by an embarrassed teacher on the first fundamentals, but that was IT!

Hopefully I did better with my daughter, but only she can say......

much2ponder said...

I, like you would hope I would intervene if someone were in need of help. At least draw attention and make a phone call. Do something, right?

As for the sex-Education of my kids, I believe I was more open than my parents and I believe my children, especially my daughter are more comfortable about this part of their lives,

Truth is, sometimes parents are the last ones kids feel comfortable enough to talk to about the subject with. It's strange in a way, but I feel part of the reason is because they can't stand to think of us in that light.

My kids all grown and married still cringe if they think that their father and I might have actually participated in sexual relations. I know, funny right?

Walker said...

I have a few times interviened.
There are many ways to do so most times i hold the cell phone to my ear and call the police.They usually stop and run.
One i had to use a baseball bat to help som smuck being killed on my lawn at 3 am but I think i was more pissed off they woke me up that time.

Merlin said...

Helping others, I beleive that I ahve stood up to the bad ones when doing security at events, and hope I would do again if walking down the street.

As to sex education, there is a fine balance. I want my daughter to grow up knowing that there is nothing to be ashamed about, that sex is something that should be enjoyed and can be a wonderful bond. But I also think our children are forced to grow up too quickly. So when and how to deal with the issues, I am yet to discover. I hope that when the time comes I will be honest, open and free

Rainbow dreams said...

Diver, I honestly don't know what I'd do - thankfully mobile phones make calling the police easier.
In my karate days I felt quite confident that I would be of some use if I were ever needed to do anything... false confidence or not, who knows, it was never called upon to find out!
Perhaps we never know until we are faced with a situation - I hope I never am either.

MMP,
admiration for that, honestly.

We didn't have anyone or anywhere to talk with others either - I remember our biology teacher wasn't allowed to talk to us about sex till she was married... quite bizarrre really, and then we had a stiff and starchy talk about contraception where we were allowed to hold a condom if we wanted to!! lol

Rainbow dreams said...

Gilly, a whack with your stick sounds good :) they wouldn't be expecting that!!

We have been quite open answering questions as we have been asked, but I guess only time will tell..