Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Thanks to the lovely Jen Gray for posting this...



and it's not just girls who feel it either...

but that doesn't seem to be talked about as much, or almost ever at all..
why?

11 comments:

Gilly said...

That is a very disturbing video. I don't know why boys are not talked about so much, but maybe its because what is expected of boys is not the same. Girls (and women) are desirable 'objects'. They are expected to be good to look at and conforming to popular 'standards' ie, thin, long legged, welldressed/made up. A successful working woman will still be expected to look good. Looks come first, success second, and brains are hidden away.

On the other hand, boys anxd men are there to 'capture' the women, to assess them, to be the predators. There are male examples tof ollow, but it does seem to me that it is what the men do first and how they look second. This may well change, possibly is, and how we as a society can change it I have no idea!

Good post, Katie!

Rainbow dreams said...

Thanks Gilly, I think you may well be right.
There aren't the images out there either as much for boys, but recently I have become very aware that there is a pressure for boys to conform to a certain look...
and a pressure that exists from quite a young age which is perpetuated by peers and the desirable, successful image. Wanting a 6 pack from an age when children's bodies just aren't designed to have 6 packs, and then as they grow and develop there are messages about weight and fat that don't differentiate between muscle and fat..
it's the whole image thing too.

I hadn't realised quite the extent of it and it almost feels as if it's invisible.

Thank you, am still working on the computer so I can reply to e mails...or transfer them to this mac so I can!!

ConverseMomma said...

I think there is an ideal for men too, and it isn't just physical. It's the whole be tough, be strong, do not show emotion. I am doing my best to let both my children know that they are beautiful, their emotions count, but I am up against the enemy almost every time I open a magazine, turn on a tv, or go outside. Does not mean I'll give up. The first step is being satisfied with myself. I'm working on that.

Rainbow dreams said...

ConverseMomma, Yes, that does seem to still exist, quite strongly, perhaps more so than ever.. and it drives me mad.. we should all be able to show emotion without being judged for it...it's human!

Suppressing emotion isn't healthy but it is a message that (I think boys get especially) seems to be out there and then I can't help but think it comes out as frustration and anger..

I'm not giving up either..and being satisfied with ourselves has to be the foundation, I keep having to return to that :)
Thanks for commenting..it helps me process my thoughts

VioletSky said...

Maybe the ads are still being created by "Mad Men" (do you have that tv show?).

Oh, and I agree about the emotional side of men coming out agressively in anger if it is supressed.

Jayne said...

Wow... that is powerful stuff. I love that Dove has taken these issues on like they have. It makes me want to stand and cheer!!

Rainbow dreams said...

Hi Violetsky, As far as I know we don't get that here, but I don't watch much tv... my daughter would likely know though!
It does seem that there comes a time when emotion stops being ok - and thats when the work starts...and the aggression and frustration...so am seeing a very clear link in lots of ways...

Thankfully my daughter is (at least for the moment) very happy with who she is and how she is... legs that go on for ever *sigh*!! :)

Rainbow dreams said...

Jayne, me too... :) They are close to my heart, have been for as far back as I can remember and only now am I feeling better about it all...yet I have rarely met a woman who is totally content with her own body

BlazngScarlet said...

Such a strong and powerful message!
Our children need to be taught to be healthy.
Mind, body & spirit.
What the magazines and advertisements show isn't real.

Good on Dove for tackling these issues, but they should include boys/men as well.

Merlin said...

I would maybe be a bit more impressed if Dove wasn't a brand belonging to the same company who produce Lynx (AXE). They are both Unilever products. Call me cynical but there seems to be a bit of hypocrisy there somewhere.

much2ponder said...

I agree with Gilly...I too was very disturbed by this video, but if I wasn't I would have to take my own pulse. I hate the message sent to girls and boys concerning the way a young woman should look. We are all touched by this in negative ways. It just makes me sick. Seriously!