Monday, February 16, 2009



"Underground, overground, Wombling free. The Wombles of Wimbledon Common are we ! Making good use of the things that we find - things that the everyday folk leave behind !"


I remember being fascinated when I was very small by the idea that there were Wombles living in Wimbledon common and it was in fact the only reason back then that I wanted to visit it... to see if I could see them.
Then I grew up and realised they were purely imaginary!!

Skip rummaging and reusing things has always been a part of life here - so often it feels as if we've stepped into Steptoes back yard, but then we have mirrors, shelves, a shed, and various bits around the place that we couldn't afford any other way really, plus no end of picture frames and other 'found' objects that invariably end up as pieces of 'art' in some form or other.

So, I thought it was wonderful when I was told about an event planned this friday, where, once again there will be Wombles wombling in Wimbledon, but this time for real...

The Big Womble is being co-ordinated by The London Community Recycling Network and they are encouraging people to find broken, tired and discarded furniture and household items and bring them to Wimbledon College to be refurbished and reused. At the end of the day these items will be donated to furniture reuse charities in the city. Various celebrities have donated old and unwanted furniture to be reused and there looks to be lots planned for the day.
If I lived close I'd definitely be there - instead I'll drop in from afar and am spreading the word for them...

Happy Wombling all of you :)

12 comments:

Lucy said...

How strange...i've been reading your blog for a while but couldn't remember how i'd come across it and assumed it was a totally random link! Do you know Hannah or has the Big Womble just become very well-known?

Rainbow dreams said...

Hi Lucy, thank you for commenting..I never know who reads this stuff! I met Hannah at a fireworks party we came over for and heard about this event from her invite to the Big Womble on facebook
Cheers,
Katie :)

Anonymous said...

Wow... I would love to go...wombles werent big here in Australia... but scavaging and recycling are... sounds like a good cause Rainbow

Lucy said...

Well that just goes to show how bad i am with names because you must have met me there too! I'm Steve's niece...short, blonde...forgets people's names when there's red wine involved? Nice to meet you online, anyway, and thanks for the blog comment :)

Rainbow dreams said...

It sounds good A'Jay and am sure it will be...shame I can't make it, slight problem of a stretch of water between this island and there, but a good cause.


No worries Lucy - I did wonder if it was you, but thought there could easily be two people called Lucy :)
and to be fair by the time we actually met it was late, there was a lot of drink involved..and there would be nothing to connect me to this blog at all really...
In the living room I was sat on the floor by Hannah, short darkish hair.

Good to meet you online too, cheers, Katie, :)

Mark said...

Sounds like a great event! I do love England. I lived there for 3 years and often miss the people and the lifestyle.

BlazngScarlet said...

Never heard of them ... but I am all for recycling!
Sounds like a cool event ..

Scarlet said...

If only I lived closer...I'd love to help put something like this together. I'd be singing that Wombling free song for days! :)

Marja said...

Ah we had the wombles too in Holland. Anyway I work close to the salvation army and in my lunchtime I love browsing through all the old stuff and got stuck to lots of it

Rainbow dreams said...

Mark, I'm sure it will be good - it deserves to be...I live between England and France and sadly can't get over to be there - not always as easy as it should be to get across the water!

Scarlet, I'm sure they were primarily an English thing..recycling is good. I don't know where I'd be without it :)


Scarlet.. that blasted womble song...it's in my head far too much since I heard about this! ;)

Ahh Marja, so it wasn't just England - guess they travelled which is excellent...
Oh the wonders of rummaging through charity shops, some real treasures to be found :)

Walker said...

Re-using recycling is not a bad thing.
When i had nothing it was something to have what i needed that someone else didnt need anymore because the found or could afford what thy now had and i p[ass things down in the same manner.
We're all Wombles, especially now

Rainbow dreams said...

Walker,
At times it has been invaluable to us, in fact I'm not sure where we would be without it :)