Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Diving



How could you reach the pearl by only looking at the sea?

If you seek the pearl, be a diver: the diver needs several qualities:


he must trust his rope and his life to the Friend's hand,

he must stop breathing,

and he must jump.

Rumi

Fihi ma Fihi - 50



Just haven't been able to get this out of my head lately...

8 comments:

diver said...

Ah, Diving and Rumi, these are a few of my favourite things. Your Rumi extract also reminded me of a Chinese saying I've been carrying around for awhile ...
'Pearls lie not on the seashore,
One must dive for them.'

I haven't been able to get that one out of my head this
err
lifetime ;-)

much2ponder said...

This is thought provoking. I will do some thinking on it also. Hope all is well in your corner...it's still winter here:)

awareness said...

It's a beautiful piece. I really like it. I don't think i've ever read it. Why is it meaningful to you right now?

Rainbow dreams said...

Hi Diver, like that too.. am off to you now, :)

m2p, all is well thank you, just trying to catch my tail - but I'm not a puppy and it's not fun :)

Dana, Pleased you like it - I'm not sure - I've had it around for a while and not been able to put it to rest. Perhaps in time I'll look back and see why, but for now I guess I just like it and it speaks to me... the best answer I have!

Rainbow dreams said...

I always promised myself that I'd learn to dive if we ever went to Australia - I wanted to be able to explore under the sea aswell as on top... it's way too cold here to learn!! :)

Marja said...

Intriguing words. There is a lot in it which needs some thinking. Love it

Walker said...

Yo have to leap in the waters and get wet to recieve its rewards.
Alot like life

Rainbow dreams said...

Marja, pleased you like it - I did - no hidden meaning as far as I am aware - just liked it :)

So true Walker... :)