Monday, September 01, 2008

Confused

There is a logic of men and boys that I am convinced will always be a mystery ~
at times compulsive and enticing, attractively ridiculous, that belies any reason,
that is without the dawning realisation moment that comes after a dubious action,
but faced with reality brings a blank yet quizzical look of total misunderstanding.


There are days I hardly recognise the world or it's logic, days that get stranger and more obscure as they progress.... (today being one such day)

I love having men and boys in my life, they add beauty and colour, zest and energy, and at times I adore their perspective, I just wish I could fathom them a little more... their behaviour can seem somewhat bizarre and erratic.

Yet I imagine they feel the same about me some days!

7 comments:

Jayne said...

Mars/Venus is not a myth! :c) They are soooo very different.

Rainbow dreams said...

I am a little sad to think it is not a myth... and then again I love them for it Jayne :)

Merlin said...

But it is a myth. Yes guys are better at ignoring the things that have been lying on the floor for the last three weeks but other than that we aren't that different. The thing is that society has taught us to hide our similarities. That doesn't mean that they don't exist. But there are ways men "should" think and ways women "should" think, so that is what is displayed to the world. {A possible exception is that I am not sure woman have the empty sandbox in their heads that men have, this is the area a man fills with a hobby in order to forget the world for a while and recharge his batteries}

Rainbow dreams said...

Merlin,
I'm not convinced... today I learned about differences between man and womens brains and there has to be something in it -
which explains why men have a harder job controlling anger and impulsive behaviour in general - we have a larger prefrontal cortex!
Also why women tend to find it easier to verbalise emotions and men will tend to retreat somewhere to forget the world and not have to continually be asked to talk about his feelings...our two brain hemispheres are more connected and communicate better than mens apparently!

It was curious and fascinating! :)

Rainbow dreams said...

Perhaps we should be celebrating our similarities, but then who would pick up the dirty washing? ;)

Merlin said...

That's the empty sandbox, the place to retreat to. I'm not convinced by harder to control impulsive behaviour - I think binge drinking seesm to be reasonably spread among men and women, with plenty of young girls rolling in the gutters drunk.

Yes there are differences, but there are differences in the way you and your friends think, what you find important they may not. I am glad that men and women are different (one key difference that makes life much more fun) but I don't think the differences are significant

Rainbow dreams said...

I take your point,

Personally I have always thought hormones had more of a part to play, but found the neurophysiology stuff fascinating and am prepared to give it some credence when my son is holding his phone under cold water because he heard it might be a good idea, and then wants to dip it in alcohol...(it had fallen in the sea!) and when the boys in the house can't understand why I am concerned about dangerous activities...

binge drinking I agree seems to be equally spread but is that impulse or choice? or addiction?

We are all different - it would be so dull if we were all alike, and most of the time I am glad men and women are, sometimes it irritates the hell out of me though!!
Wouldn't trade them in for the world mind!