Saturday, September 06, 2008



"All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies, one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better language; and every chapter must be so translated...No man is an island, entire of itself..."

John Donne


Some days it is far easier to feel connected to others, than it is on other days.
To feel a part of this huge crazy mixed up world.
In some ways to feel that we are significant, and that what we do, and how we act, how we talk and interact, the choices we make, that they do in fact matter.
That we can, and do, touch fingertips with people all over the place without even realising it, that we may not always see the imprint we leave on their lives, but it is felt every bit as much as their imprint is felt on our lives, and yet we so often fail to communicate what that means to us, for so very many reasons.
To see the world as small, instead of vast, to feel connected to those who are hungry, starving, in war zones, caught up in hurricanes and disasters of all kinds, even though they may be so far away from us geographically.

To feel that the small things we do, the gestures we make, although small on their own, when added to other people's, will contribute to making a difference somehow, to our environment or to someones life somewhere.

The same with our words, what we say and what we don't say, when we choose to speak and when we choose not to...

that it all somehow matters to someone somewhere.



On other days it is far easier to feel the disconnect, the insignificance, the aloneness, to feel, not even like an island, but a pebble at the shore of an island, to wonder what we can do, to question our value.

Some days I feel so small, and the world seems so vast, it is hard to imagine that my tiny life can have an impact on anyone. On those days it is easier to close the doors and concentrate on what is under my nose here, right now...
the pile of work still to do, the health issues that continue to plague this family, the lack of money, the family issues that predominate at weekends, all the stuff of my life, that doesn't totally blind me, but blurs my ability to view the bigger picture.

The world is big and yet the world is small, life has purpose and yet sometimes it feels as if it has none...some days I feel valued and others I feel insignificant, some days I feel a part of it, and yet on others the disconnect leaves me feeling ultimately all alone, surrounded by people, not sure of how they feel or how we connect, if indeed we connect at all...

sometimes the only connections palpable are those within me, God and the universe.

on some days that is scary, and on others it is strangely comforting.

On some days the disconnect predominates,

and on some days I think I need to know how that feels.

Yet some days the sun comes out, I am reassured, and I know I just have to trust.


6 comments:

awareness said...

It sounds like you're going through a confusing time in your life, Katie......events and issues have piled up to feed your feelings of being disconnected to others? so much in life we have no control over. If I've learned anything as an adult is that we must learn to surrender to much of it, gleaning confidence and faith in both ourselves and our higher power.....(oh, and I seem to have to relearn this lesson over and over again....like I'm trying to master it, which is a contradiction is itself isn't it?? Controlling the surrendering?? lol!) Maybe this is ulimate contradiction Paul was referring to in his last post. :)

Our will and our longings braid together sometimes to fight this ultimate surrendering. We want things to be predictable and we want to feel like we are making a difference and we push this longing through our feisty will. But, I know when I've had glimpses of it, and this happened a couple of times this week for some reason or another....it's like my will and longings slip away and i'm left looking inside to see that even though it may not appear that i'm connected to others and i'm floating off on my own, I am still who I am.

We have absolutely no control over how others respond, react......or not, to us. We can't read people's minds, nor do we ever really know what their intentions are behind their behaviour. It's always just our best attempt at guessing. It really comes down to putting our best foot forward and learning how to walk our own talk......and choose how we react and respond to others.

This written of course by a world champion control freak. :)

ps. just dyed my hair a ginger colour. :)

Rainbow dreams said...

Hi Dana, obviously I'm not that great at writing!
Life is busy, but no more confusing than it ever is.
Didn't want it to come across as such... or perhaps I'm just permanently confused!! ;)

Often it seems I feel the two sides of life together, living one and feeling the other at the same time.
Like feeling sad on a beautiful day. I am aware of the impact we all make, the effect we all have, yet ultimately we are all alone and I sometimes feel that too. It's a disconnect that sometimes helps us understand others I think, and can be a source of strength too.

I would so easily get bored if the world was predictable, and I want the freedom to run with all that life has to offer.

Sometimes I think we can spend too long trying to work out the reasons behind behaviour, searching for the answers to why? or get so caught up with the impossible task of trying to rewrite history, only to find we have been so distracted that we have missed out on whats here and now.

We can only control ourselves and how we choose to react and that is good...very good.
Nothing wrong with being a control freak if we do it to ourselves :)

Think we might need an up-to-date picture then!!

VioletSky said...

I read this as a positive post. You have written what I so often feel. Sometimes is is best to just be with the emotion of the day rather than thinking about the whys and wherefores of what is happening.

Rainbow dreams said...

Violetsky,
Thank you, It was meant positively as an observation of feelings, that each day is different and brings with it different emotions that affect how connected I feel, both at home and to the world more generally...

I'm pleased you read it as such,
Katie :)

Anonymous said...

life's an odd old thing isn't it?

as i get older i understand less and less
and am so less certain of anything at all...

and you're right, within that disconnect there is sense...just not immediately ....
and not the way i think it should happen!

Rainbow dreams said...

mmp,
perhaps we're not meant to understand? I am less certain too :)
Nothing has ever made sense the way I wanted it to, yet in hindsight it has worked out one way or another.
I guess thats the mystery