The coo of woodpigeons reminds me of summer afternoons outside revising, sprawled out on the grass surrounded by books and drinks trying to absorb facts and quotes and details and longing for a time when exams were no longer a part of my life... when I was free to live as I wanted ~ to be adult seemed so magical, so wonderful, so unattainable.... so far away.
In the here and now, revision is over, exams are finished, the first full week of them has been and gone.... we survived - thats the whole family ~ it is a whole family thing.
We reached the weekend exhausted, needing to collapse and recover but instead momentum carried us forwards, and so we start another week flying!
Now we're counting the weeks until the sumer holidays and time to stretch out with a drink listening to the birds again...
before then summer concerts and school trips, activity weeks and swimming galas... Whoever said Summer days were lazy didn't mean these days!
I managed to miss sports day for S because it was called 'house athletics' and not plain old 'Sports day' so it didn't jump out at me and I had rearranged a training day which clashed with it...! The only sports day I have ever missed.
If only people would say what they mean instead of making it sound more than it is.
Hayfever has set in this weekend, which, together with some kind of sumer throat/ear thing which brings back memories from earlier this year, is stretching my patience which I really hate.
Too soon we'll be saying goodbye to junior school completely ~ thats a strange feeling...
a whole era.
Memories, fond memories thankfully...
it is very hard to process that fact - we live through it, experiencing it and then wonder where it has gone and where were we while it was happening? How can I have missed it happening?
How can I become more sponge like, more absorbent?
My life turns inwards when holidays approach - am looking forward to being able to do that this year without having to always be conscious of and attentive to the distractions of holiday makers around the place.
The quest for independence is being felt - mates calling round for bike rides, trips to the beach together without adults around., meeting up in town... the first steps on the road to not needing us around as much.
We work to let them go.... thats what we strive towards.... baby giant steps....
An invitation for S to go away with a friend in the summer. It would be a great adventure - almost famous five like I imagine... but one person has pulled out, so we'll have to wait and see. Enid Blyton may have been great to read but it's nothing to living it for real....
Our Summer is full and full of promise - it stretches ahead of us like a long and unspoilt beach waiting to be explored, waiting for the first footprints to be made, castles to be made, treasure to be discovered, dams and bridges, holes and steps to be made and dug...
adventures to be had...
the sun is out, suncream is on, hats in school bags... and the air is full of anticipation...
Monday, June 09, 2008
summer dreaming
Posted by
Rainbow dreams
at
Monday, June 09, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Sounds like a busy summer ahead Katie! Enjoy!!
Wow, I feel like I'm really missing out on something special!
And, I do wish the ubiquitous THEY would stop renaming things: events, buildings, places, diseases ... it puts so many of us out of touch.
My summer allergies haven't settled in yet ... hope for a big gust of wind to blow yours onwards.
Love that picture, Katie - did you take that one?
Sounds like a lot going on for you. Curious about 'junior school' - here, we have elementary (up through about 10 years old), middle school (usually through 12), junior high (through 14) and then high school (through 18). That's all mandatory; after 18, you study at university if you desire...how do your schools arrange it?
Hi Jayne, we have things planned but time to breathe inbetween I hope too, it always goes so fast. Thank you
Violetsky - Thank you - it's simple and we like it, so we think it's special :)
I do wish my summer allergies would just up and go - I ordered some pollen tablets in desperation - we'll see if they help!
Beth, I did - while waiting for Sam to finish her piano lesson.
Education here - we have infants which is 4-7 years old, then primary (juniors) from 7-11 and secondary (seniors) from 11-18 after which University/further education is an option.
I had to think there - had I called it something it wasn't...I get easily confused :)
"adventures to be had..." I really wish you fun and joy in the pursuit of them. Talk of summer adventures gets my heart racing and I hope you have plenty of them (minus the allergies, of course)---love the photo also!
....and that is exactly why I will defend to the last breath our long school holidays in summer!
"it stretches ahead of us like a long and unspoilt beach waiting to be explored"
what an inspiring image there... makes me feel like a little kid again!
Tim, thank you - it's always good to get hearts racing...:) I am so looking forward to this holiday..
mmp - I agree - personally I love my kids being around, love the family being together - because R teaches it is really special time and kind of makes up for the winter when we hardly get to see each other apart from in passing to exchange information as opposed to really talk and catch up with each other.
Kate....what a lovely comment, thank you...I never ever want to lose that little kid feeling...it's pure unadulterated magic..
Post a Comment