Tuesday, June 03, 2008

the missing piece...

In the first side room on the left, as you walked onto the ward, a small child aged 2 1/2 with the most gorgeous caramel skin, soft and warm, reached his arms out for love to anyone who came in.

Arms wrapped tightly round my neck, beautiful silky soft curls against my cheek, brushing against my nose, his gorgeous scent infusing my brain with love, two souls touching, gently rocking, skin touching, one speaking words, both absorbing the feelings..

his reason for being in hospital ~ injuries inconsistent with the story given... burns that were self evident...

now he will be 18+...

I wonder what he is doing, how he is...

he was the reason I was going to adopt - regardless... plus a fear of the pain I witnessed of childbirth - thankfully it wasn't as bad as I had thought when I got there! But I do wonder how he is, what he is doing... how his life worked out?
As a vulnerable 19 year old, my thinking was changed, massively, by him...

thanks to Under the overpasses for reminding me of people who have changed my thinking...
a child too young to verbalise his own desires changed me - and still now I can return to those days...
so many people with lives and stories...
perspective.... some too painful to share here...


Wouldn't it be fantastic if you could keep hold of a perfect moment for ever?
The feelings, the scent, the closeness...
one of the reasons I don't want my kids to grow up....after a tough day they make it all, alright...
they have an individual scent on their necks, strongest behind their ears, which I could get high on. I wish I could bottle it...

arms reaching for you, holding tight... love in it's purest form...
My son is now as tall as me.. his hugs are amazing... they always have been...

nothing other than thoughts and memories...

Without people and stories I head towards books.....

that's what I miss....

7 comments:

awareness said...

I get completely wrapped up in Mr. Under the Overpass's stories because I'm inundated with thoughts and faces all at once!

It's what I love about blogging.....the wonderful ideas and memories that fly out other's stories. There's a cyclical feel to it.

I am loving watching my children grow up and find their way, though am quickly becoming the shortest in this family.

Have you ever read "love you forever" by Robert Munsch? He's a Canadian children's author, and has written many books....but this one in particular is about a Mother's relationship with her son. Have I told you about it before? I dare you to get through it without big gulps. It's a beautiful beautiful story of love.

Rainbow dreams said...

Hi Dana,
I know EXACTLY what you mean.. he is the most wonderful storyteller and blogger for that reason...
I have read that story - had it as part of the library for my old job...

am also close i thought to a girl who died from taking ecstacy... 15 years or so on it is still so graphic I can hardly think about it...so helpless and so futile... never have I seen anything like it...never have I seen a team try so damn hard, wanted to write about her but can't...
so bloody helpless...places I never realised you could bleed from too...

Under there... said...

*blushing*...I know exactly what you mean about wanting to hold on to those perfect moments in time. People who are blessed with an awareness of just how precious the present is, are also cursed to mourn its transient nature. I wonder how that dear child is now also. It's funny how those pivotal moments stay with us just like they happened only yesterday...
btw, did I mention that I was blushing at your kind comments?

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite things to do is reflect on where I am and how I got here. Noting along the way all the people and experiences that shaped who I am.

I used to dream soooo big and now my life has turned out so much 'smaller' than what I thought it would. I've changed though because I wouldn't change my world for anything.

I wish there was a way to thank all those people who make a person who they are. Hey! Someone should make a website! Now there is an idea...

VioletSky said...

I often wonder how we would react (or act) if we were aware of the influence we are having on another person at a given moment in our respective lives. Would it be too intimidating? Would I change my behaviour instantly? Would I carry on as always, oblivious?

That such a simple moment in time can affect someone else forever is so powerful. Sortof gives us all a reason to be, to live.

Kate's Typewriter said...

oh this so, so reminds me of a similar experience i had... with a little girl in an orphanage, the first time in my life i wanted to be a mother, or felt like a mother... i wanted to adopt her then and there, wanted to build a life for her. This lovely post brought that moment back in full force! thank you for that. :)

Rainbow dreams said...

Tim,
your comments to me are so lovely...I do wonder how he is now...I don't know what happened to him as I was a student and we had to move onto new placements...I hope he was kept safe and given love...he was the most beautiful child I think I had ever seen....and yes they do stay with you like yesterday.

All my pivotal moments of learning seem to have been with drug addicts, the homeless, people facing real trauma and tragedy...have been reflecting lots since your post on the many people whose lives have touched mine...

it's ok to blush...:)


Hi Jenny,

I like to reflect too...it helps to make sense of the world somehow..
I think life does that - we dream and then we get shrink wrapped and then there are times we can dream big again...being happy with how things are at any one time is important though.

I like that idea..not everyone knows what a difference they have made..perhaps they should..



Violet sky, I wonder - I wouldn't want to take away the spontaneity of life by always questioning too much - sometimes it's not the immediate effect we have but a delayed one.. words people say that stay with you long afterwards that change a perspective and change lives...

yes, it is always the simple moments... I do think that gives us all reason too..

Kate, thank you for such a lovely comment...for sharing too.
my dream to work abroad is still there, real and burning..now just to make it happen...