Sunday, August 26, 2007

figments of our imagination...




Until I became a parent, I hadn't realised the very fine line between childhood magic and fantasy, and deceit...

Of course there is a F*ther Christm*s...and a t**th fairy...
my husband introduced me to the E*ster b*nny too....!

but once you have made friends with these very real figments of our imagination how do you deal with them....?

There have been times when, as a very tired stand in M*ther Christm*s, I have been very tempted to just leave it up to the real one to sort the presents out...and let me get some decent sleep in the knowledge I will be woken at some unearthly hour anyway... but that seems slightly too risky to be feasible...

and now I am being let down very badly by the t**th fairy for similar reasons...
It would appear that she is seriously shirking her responsibilities and not coming to my rescue as I am now flunking my t**th fairy exams, or more accurately continuous assessment, in spectacular fashion.... good intention doesn't get the job done...neither does sitting watching a film with a very nice bottle of wine and falling into bed without a second thought for the tooth so carefully placed under the pillow...

escape plan A has worked a couple of times in the middle of the night when a distressed child has woken us to say she hasn't been... again... turns out the window has been firmly closed and so obviously she couldn't get in, open the window and by the morning all will be well....

escape plan B is in progress......

how does anyone keep on believing in a fairy who is so bad at her job....?
well this one is fairly sure she has been rumbled... but no one is saying...

she tried not playing for a while, but got told off....
she has considered asking if they still believe but then that would shatter an illusion... and illusion and fantasy and magic are fun.....and it might just leave her exposed as a fraud...
is this a time for confessional moments....
but who says it's just fantasy anyway?

which leaves her sitting nicely in the middle of nowhere.... a guilty fraudster conned by the child in her that can't let go and wants to keep the dream alive.... yet failing miserably ~ it really is quite hard to be a good fairy.... and even harder not to be one at all...

(and whats the betting that some child googles this despite my efforts
- do I need more *'s ?)

*actually looking at the size of those roots in baby teeth, I think the tooth fairy would be pretty mean not to give generously... *

7 comments:

Disillusioned said...

Our younger daughter has been known to receive letters from the tooth fairy (typed in some improbably tiny and unusual font) to apologise for her remissness. Worked for us. We also have a gorgeous letter said daughter wrote explaining why her tooth was not under the pillow (it got lost at the swimming pool!)

Jayne said...

That tooth fairy is sometimes just sooooo busy that she might forget a tooth or two. She means well and usually can make it up the next night. Afterall, if her tooth bag gets too full, she can't fly...whew.

Rainbow dreams said...

So the tooth fairy knows how to type?... well I never did...!;)

Rich didn't do too well with his first teeth - one was knocked out at school in the playground and lost forever, and the next one he swallowed....
so he wrote letters too

Jayne,
You know I never thought about how heavy those teeth are to carry and still fly...

am hoping she has room tomorrow - Sam has to have two teeth out first thing ~ hopefully to avoid her needing a brace later on...
last time she wrote and asked if she could keep hold of the tooth the dentist took out...must ask her :)

awareness said...

I told my kids that the tooth fairy was really an overweight hairy man in a tutu and did they really want him traipsing into their bedrooms at night?

just kidding.....though that is an interesting visual... :)

I actually wrote a story about a little girl losing and refinding her tooth.....I should try to find it......if I do, I'll send it to you Katie.

cheers.

Rainbow dreams said...

hey Dana, thats Father Christmas in a tutu isn't it?...:)

I imagined tooth fairies disappeared after Father Christmas did... but we seem to be at the stage that they know, and I know they know, but they don't really want me to break the spell by admitting it, so we dance around it playing this silly game made worse by me keep forgetting!..

off to gather two more for the pot...will come visit later as we'll be house bound I imagine...

Variations On A Theme said...

I think their need to believe is so strong, it doesn't matter what we do...including my husband actually admitting to my daughter that WE were the tooth fairies. She had her dear, little heart broken, but the next tooth that came out, got tucked in the tooth pillow and she was excited about the tooth fairy coming! Ha!

Rainbow dreams said...

hi Variations, I think you're right there is a need to believe ~ and I'd still like to :)
it broke my heart telling Rich about Father Christmas, although he did already kind of know...though they still both had stockings hung up he could se how the pieces of the jigsaw fitted in after the event...