Thursday, January 04, 2007

Things sometimes work out....

The New Year got off to a wobbly start, with the realisation on the way to work yesterday, that I really didn't feel too well.
However, putting it to the back of my mind, and avoiding all food or drink other than water, I was able to keep the nausea at bay and plod through most of the morning's work.
There have been a few times since I started this new job, when I have been taken aback by what can only be called the kindness of human nature and yesterday was one of them. We were busy and already one member of staff down, yet every one of the team helped out when they were able. I felt totally supported and cared for, and was sent home slightly early with an assurance that if I wasn't well in the morning I wasn't to go in.

It is six months since I finally finished my previous job. It was more than a job, it was something I worked for from my heart, I loved it but it was a job for more than one person on their own and I had no one to share it with. Choosing to hand in my notice was emotionally painful and it's been a long recovery.
A much valued service was taken away from people as a result, and although I cannot be responsible for it, I still hurt with that knowledge, and will continue to search for a way around it.

I know I have been reluctant to enthuse too much about my new job, probably because it lacks some of those vocational qualities I've always searched out in whatever I've done previously.
I've wondered where I am going to, wondered how fulfilled this is going to make me, yet knowing on a logical, cognitive level, that it was, as one of my close friends would term it, 'a good call', a much needed change on many counts.

I'm now sitting here, having had 19 hours solid sleep, feeling much better, and am truly thankful that I am in a position, not just doing something I'm enjoying, but where people care about me. That it's not just enough for me to care about others, but that I am worthy of being cared for too. Surely that shouldn't be such an odd concept....?

So far it's been a steep learning curve, with new skills to develop and perfect, but I'm well on my way. Next week I'm away in England to start on the next stage of my training, and looking forward to it.

I'm not sure what the catalyst for change is, but I know life happens regardless of the plans we make.
I tend not to make New Years resolutions, but rather make them up as I go along. This time last year I wouldn't have predicted being in the situation I am in now.
I still have no idea where it's all going to, but perhaps we do really end up exactly where we are supposed to be somehow.

7 comments:

Beth said...

Glad you're feeling better, Katie - and it's wonderful that you are enjoying the privilege of being cared for. Undoubtedly you're right where you need to be for now...

awareness said...

Hi Katie........glad you're feeling better.

Nothing can replace the feeling of comraderie and care in a workplace. It is what I miss more than anything now that i have been moved to another team. This team is unhealthy......

I knew that what I had with my previous crew was something tremendously special........many times I had been seconded to other projects only to come back to my work "home." Good thing they are only across the street and keep me in the loop and keep me grounded.

It makes for such a different work environment.

What type of training are you taking next week?

LOVE the WELLIES!!!!

Jayne said...

Isn't it interesting how bad things get before we know it? I mean, until we walk away, we don't realize just how much of us was suffering? How wonderful that you are looked after where you are now, as we all deserve to be. Blessings to you Katie. Hope you are feeling refreshed and rested today.

Rainbow dreams said...

Hi Beth, thanks, I think this post is very selfish of me really, but I nned to remind myself that sometimes despite it all, it can come right in the end

Dana, just wondering if an unhealthy team be called a team? Breaking free was hard but ultimately for the best - next Monday I am off to train so I can screen blood donors prior to them donating, then in February there is more training and I will move onto the bigger needles and the process of taking blood from blood donors... first exams I will have taken in years...

Jayne, I am astounded at my blindness to see how completely awful it had become for me. I plodded on, hoping it would improve, coping because I am conditioned to cope with whatever life throws my way, and now I look back and think - why couldn't I see it?

Blessings to you all, I am feeling better thank you,x

Jeff said...

It's amazing that vocation can be so much more important than earning food money. I turned down a job for architecture and went back to school to be a teacher because I thought teaching would be "more important." However, my friend works in a boat factory and probably improves the lives of people around him better than I improve the lives around me.

I've been enjoying your blog for several weeks now, so thank you for that!

JP (mom) said...

I do believe we end up where we need to be ... and that is as it should be. Peace to you, JP

Rainbow dreams said...

Hi Jeff, I reckon we spend so much time at work it should be something fulfilling. Teachers have a remarkable ability to mould and shape our thinking - we can all think back to those who got it right and those who didn't and I think they are very important. I'll always remember your grace story - fantastic teaching :)
I'm enjoying your blog too.

JP, welcome and thank you, I'm enjoying your writing and poetry