Saturday, May 23, 2009

the mystery of the dawn...

The problem with darkness is that after a while your eyes adjust,
and when it turns to grey
it's hard to discern whether or not it is light creeping in, or merely an adjustment of our focus that sees it as 'normal'.

Perhaps it is light after all, and because we are so used to the dark we don't recognise it as such.
how can we recognise that in fact it is getting lighter, and it is merely our perception that sees darkness where it used to be?

I hope so...or maybe I am clinging to the idea of filtered light.

The mystery of the dawn perhaps? It is always gradual.

we wish for a switch to suddenly flood our lives with brightlights, when in fact we wouldn't believe it if that happened, it would be blinding.

Perhaps it takes a while to adjust, not to the darkness, but to the gradual light
oh and coping with the black shadows that light brings, and recognising that that is what they are, to not to be scared of them, but accept them for what they are,
and that they do not mean we are about to fall into complete darkness again.

we yearn for sudden changes and yet there are important lessons to be learned from the halflight too.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

ay, you're right there

Marja said...

Interesting I think indeed we people have to adapt to change even if it is a positive one. When it is to bright to quickly it hurts your eyes. But it is word it I don't like the dark

Rainbow dreams said...

mmp thanks, x I'm learning loads (of things I wish I never needed to know) :)

Marja, I don't like it either particularly, and especially now, but sometimes we have no control over where we end up... and we deal with whatever we find, and hope that the specks of light we think we see are actually light filtering through...
I think they are :)

Nikita said...

I'm not sure there's a difference between light and dark... perhaps it's all just one heap of grey.

Rainbow dreams said...

some say it's all different shades of grey... and yet I can remember times of real glorious shining brightness and times of darkest black...when I thought I had lost everything in the world... Mainly I guess it's grey infused with silver...light glistens doesn't it? like on waves...x

Nikita said...

Yes, that sounds right. I may have left the grey comment when I was a little down... x

Rainbow dreams said...

No worries at all Niki, I have often felt like that...
x

VioletSky said...

I have learned to truly appreciate the dark after working so many years at night. I find that while I am out with my deliveries at night I find so many things I think I must come back to photograph in the daylight, and when I do, it is often much less attractive, or even unrecognizable. Then I see it again the next night and find a renewed appreciation. Often, too much light is too stimulating, to distracting of the subtleties.

Independent Chick said...

Oh, what a powerful post. The images that I conjured in my mind...feeling my way in the dark and then suddenly having the "life light" switched on...blinded. No time for transition. No time to catch my breath. I think sometimes I prefer the dark or the dim life. Maybe I do see better than when I lights are on.

Hope you are well! xx