Perhaps it's not the best start to a party to turn up and admit to your friends that you really didn't feel like going...but then to be greeted with equal honesty from them meant we were united in our lack of enthusiasm, and it set the tone for the evening - no pretences whatsoever.
In fact this was exactly why I had said yes in the first place. They are the one place I can be honest with how I am feeling and who I am, or at least one of the places I can be.
A safe place to dwell.
In the end it was a really good, fun evening.
And so the year began, a late one at the rugby club and then onwards to our friends house where we stayed up, until dawn had well and truly broken.
One by one people took themselves off to sleep, leaving a small group behind relaxing and being together...
We hadn't started out wanting a party, but in some ways I needed to be there.
I couldn't sleep even though I wanted to, and for quite some time I lay on the sofa, watching as the others played karaoke on the playstation...and contemplated all kinds of things...it is good to take a step outside your world now and again - to be a part of it and yet disengaged at the same time.
As it turned out there were moments of sharing very personal stories which have left me thinking and once again realising how little I really know about life or anything that goes on in it...and humbled by others stories and experiences and honesty in telling them to me.
And we try to figure out the way forward together.
It's been a very low key day, gathering ourselves for the new year that has already begun.
Not so much making resolutions, which I do very badly, but looking ahead, as a friend put it so well on facebook, to embrace the new surprises, wonders, failings and learnings that lie ahead.
Thursday, January 01, 2009
It's begun
Posted by
Rainbow dreams
at
Thursday, January 01, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Sounds like you had time to kick back and ponder life and making resolutions isn't necessary. Sometimes when we walk on and not plan where we're going, we end up in amazing places.
A little serendipity in '09 would be nice. Best wishes to you, girl friend! :)
Good to hear there was good that went on at your party...same is true for me. I did so dread going, not feeling much like being social, but I was glad I went. Met some very interesting people. Shared some superficial conversation, laughed a lot and went home early. Was actually in bed by 10:30, and like you could not sleep. So this morning I stayed in bed until almost 9:00. That is something I never do. In fact 7:00 is considered sleeping in for me, lol.
Isn't funny how often the events we dread going to often turn out to be the most enjoyable whereas those we look forward to with great anticipation often turn out to be flops?
Ah life...so unpredictable and amazing.
It's good to have friends like that! Happy New Year to you and your loved ones!
I didn't go to a party, perhaps I should have. New Year is something I still can't figure.
Happy New Year Katie! Hope the coming year is filled with love, joy, and happiness.
Scarlet, sometimes we do end up in amazing places, and we never quite know where they are going to be...
A little serendipity would be good though, and to you :)
m2p, I'm pleased you were pleased you went. I really didn't feel like it, but avoided superficial conversation and am embarrassed to say how late I slept!! :)
Romany, oh yes, how often I have been surprised at evenings out.. very very nearly didn't get to the party where I met my husband! Life is unpredictable and although there are many times I would dispute it, I do actually like it that way.
PBS, Happy New Year to you too, x
Niki, I have done many new years - most often I would choose to work it in A&E which were my best ones if I'm honest...have walked from St.Martins to St.Saviours in high heels in the early hours and had many total flops of evenings I thought would be good...
all of which would entice me to stay at home and let it go by unnoticed, but if I think of it as an excuse to spend time with friends then it becomes more manageable.
Yours sounds perfect :)
Jayne, the same to you, much love, Katie, xx
i am also bad at making resolutions--- haha... much more interesting things to do--- rather than make resolutions about what we are going to stop doing, maybe we should just all promise ourselves to have more adventures, eat more brownies and ice cream... oh dear, i'm sounding like that silly 'yes man' film now. haha. Happy New Year!
Good friends are indispensable, long may you have them! Happy New Year to you!
Hi Kate :) oh yes, far more interesting things to do... though I am assured that planning is the way forward...I just find life intervenes in the best laid plans! Happy New Year, x
Gilly, I'll raise a glass to that, you too! Am pleased our paths crossed, thank you.
Sometimes it take a group of unwilling partiers for have a good one grow out of the lack of enthusiasm.
i love what you said about embracing...well put!
Walker.. an odd phenomenum that, but I agree :)
The Muse...I liked it too, all credit to a friend of mine who posted it on facebook...and knows I have borrowed it ;)
Thank you for coming by
Post a Comment