Thursday, January 15, 2009




In the end what matters most is
How well did you live
How well did you love
How well did you learn to let go.

I'm not sure who to accredit that to but I read it first on Jayne's blog
and it struck me as very wise...

It was the letting go that I got really caught up on though...
never the easiest thing to do, no matter how many times you have had to do it,
all the losses, little and big
all the moving forwards
all the brave faces, and all the tears behind closed doors.
all the new beginnings, tinged with sadness at what has been left behind to be where we are now.

But also that ~
The past is also my present, from which there is no escape, and I am working on it because it is also part of my future.

Some things hang round like bad smells you can't get rid of.
Where is that odour neutralising spray for life when we need it?
Surely we could all be cheerful like they are in the adverts, sniffing our carpets and furnishings, or something like that if only we could find it, content in our freshly spruced up surroundings with the odd spray here and there?


Some things we leave behind
other things leave us behind
and sometimes the things we'd like to leave behind end up stuck to us like glue we can't shake off...



21 comments:

Nikita said...

Very reflective darl, every now and again we need a spring-clean of our feelings, a little squirt of our own neutralising spray... a moment to think over what we've done, and what is left yet to do. x

awareness said...

what comes to mind here is that other saying about people who come into our lives and walk with us a mile and due to circumstances can only stay a while.

there are people who make a huge impact on us for one reason or another....our needs and their needs seem to be on the same course. and then whatever life lesson or life experience that need to be learned has happened, the relationship ceases to be. Its sad when one member of the relationship is ready to walk away before the other one...this is where the anguish occurs...and all the deep reflections.

sometimes we never know the why's or the how comes....

it just simply slips away....leaving its scent.

Rainbow dreams said...

Niki, thank you, so we do... am squirting that spray around a bit now... :) x

Dana, that's true too.. as is the rest of that saying about the people in our lives...all there for a reason.

Hmmm sometimes it's a scent and sometimes it's old socks....!!
Fortunately I haven't been there for quite some time, and wouldn't want to be, given a choice that is :)

Rainbow dreams said...

am thinking that maybe the living and loving make up for the letting go... certainly far easier to put our energies into...

Marja said...

Beautiful post!! letting go is indeed the most difficult. Just waved out my brother at the airport and it isn't easy. But I was greatful to have had the time with him and enjoy every moment as long as it takes.
We can only hold on to things in the present

Independent Chick said...

What an absolutely fabulous post. I read the last line out loud actually...how well you learn to let go. I have been working hard on this one the past little while. I think I will always struggle with that. When someone finds the odour neutralising spray for life can you please let me know? Thanks.

Awareness, great comment. I'm reflecting on it as I have been trying to figure out why a friendship that appeared to be sailing along fine, sunk. Feels like there has been a loss. And I have been doing a ton of reflection. I guess there in lies the value of the friendship, or what it was; a chance for me to reflect upon myself...yet again. I don't want to reflect for a while. hahaha I'd like a matte finish to life for a while.

Jayne said...

Letting go is the hardest, isn't it Katie? I think we all struggle with it the most. Love and hugs to you today...

Anonymous said...

Letting go, especially when it isn't by choice, is one of THE hardest things we will ever have to do. It doesn't seem to get any easier with practice either. The only thing that you know for sure is that eventually the pain will ease and new challenges will arrive at your door and some of them will end happily :)

awareness said...

I think we're always in the process of letting go. All of our relationships evolve...some are even evolving and moving on before we are even cognizant of it. This is my experience. This is how I see it.
It can be very heartbreaking when you catch up to the reality of what has been happening. Its like we can stay in denial for a while and then we open our eyes and realize it has altered...the letting go is always in the background.

Stacey....:) was thinking of a particular relationship when i wrote my comment...some just never make sense eh?

Anonymous said...

i often walk out of nurseries with glitter, bits of paper, streams of yarn or ribbon attached to my shoes ..or floating from my hair....until some kind soul tells me, usually on a bus or in a queue.

oh that all our trailing bits were so colourful

Rainbow dreams said...

Marja, thank you, I'm not good at airport goodbyes...and the present is the only thing that really counts isn't it?

IC, Letting go is always hard if you're not the one quite ready for it...I'm not sure there is anyone who, if they are honest finds it easy.
When there is no obvious reason to it makes it far harder.. it's so hurtful if we don't know the why behind peoples actions.

Thinking on Danas comment, I think it is wonderful if we can see it for the good it has been, savouring the scent. It's just so hard to get to that point sometimes.

I'm with you on reflection - sometimes a matte finish would do me just fine :)

Jayne, It is the hardest...all of life seems to be about letting go... I'd love to do it more gracefully than I do at times.. love to you aswell, xo

Angel, You are so right, it is one thing that no amount of practice seems to help with.
Loss never gets easier, but we do move onwards and new things do fill our time and space.
there are always surprises around, life is always a mix of everything isn't it? :)

Dana, All our relationships do evolve...if they are to stay healthy they do anyhow...and things change. They need food and light and space to let them grow.

Heart break feels just like it says and I think we all carry so much hope inside of us that we really don't want to believe what we are seeing at times.


mmp... THANK YOU, what a wonderful image..
know that your trailing bits give colour to my world through your lovely blog and comments...glitter and ribbons to make me smile and feel good, beautiful :)

Rainbow dreams said...

Oh and Marja... it is SO good to see you back... I will pop by very soon - an e mail to reply to and then I'll be by, x

Gilly said...

Ah, its the letting go that is so hard sometimes! As I get older I find that letting go becomes easier - the problems or whatever become flimsy, and fall to pieces behind us. But other things cling like leeches. We all have to let go of life some time, I would hope that I slip away easily, and leave strong, not flimsy and torn memories behind.

Walker said...

The worse thing in life is to be stagnent.
Its one thing working in the same job all your life and living in the same place but if you don't move forward mentally you end up lost in the present and confused about the future.
Live today and tomorrow will fall into place when it arrives.

Rainbow dreams said...

Gilly,
It is part of life, thankyou, I am still thinking on your comment.
I would hope the same when I go too.

Walker, Oh I agree whole heartedly, I would hate to be stagnant and try to always look forwards.
Living fully every day isn't always that easy but we can try :)

Charli Henley said...

"The past is also my present" - this is brilliant. I feel that way too. I often feel guilty for feeling that way - as if I am "dwelling" and I should "just get over it."

But it doesn't work that way.

We have to show ourselves a little compassion.

Rainbow dreams said...

Charli, thank you, I am conscious that I am always a sum of all that has happened to me and all I have experienced.. it has moulded who I am and how I think and act..
and while I want to keep what is good and healthy I want to leave behind what isn't.
Sometimes we can't just 'get over' things.. it does depend very much what 'it' is... some things linger longer than they should.
You're right it just doesn't work that way.

We all do what we can at any given time and we should be less hard on ourselves, x

much2ponder said...

Seems you are working through some things...it is difficult, I realize because sometimes it feels that we spend more time dealing with the issues that continue to have a pull on our hearts than we do in getting on with this process called life. I suspect it is as you state here...all intertwined in many different ways. The past is part of us and we live our present through our perception of it based on our experiences. These very present and past combined experiences will move us into the future and will one day become our new reality. My prayer for you today is that you could hear the music within your own heart that is the essence of your being and the very tune you were meant to dance with. You are loved.

Rainbow dreams said...

m2p, thank you, a lovely comment.
Am not sure I can add to that here, without disclosing more than I'd want to... apart from saying, don't worry.. all is well!

thank you :)

Calli said...

Oh, a truly insightful and thoughtful post, Katie! I have given much thought to this subject lately, especially after beginning a new year.

Great post and wishing you many rainbows!

Rainbow dreams said...

Calli, thankyou, a beautiful comment, much appreciated...here's to rainbows then