Friday, January 11, 2008

unmarked milestones

You know when all the action is going on in the foreground, there's still a whole lot happening around the edges, it's just easier to miss it.

My son has been thinking about changing football clubs for some time now - plenty of reasons, but a hard decision - he's played with the same club since he was 5 and he's a loyal, sensitive soul. But week after week he's thought more and more about it, until last night he said he really did want to move.
I had just assumed that either his Dad or I would make the call to his coach to let him know...

Instead R said he wanted to be the one to tell him.
He picked up the phone and made the call...
A hard call to make, taking responsibility and being accountable for his own decision...
I stood nearby watching and listening - in admiration for his courage and witnessing a mile stone I hadn't realised existed.

Yet the transition from us thinking and making decisions for them, to them making and acting on their own decisions is exactly what it is all about, and being there for them in case it all goes wrong I guess..

milestones not charted anywhere, yet very real steps to independence and directing their own lives.



2 comments:

Jayne said...

Good for R! I know that must have been hard, but how wonderful that he knew it was his call to make. Ya done good Katie girl!

Rainbow dreams said...

Cheers Jayne, he had a good training session this morning with the new team and feels good about it.
With so much going on in our lives it is easy to forget they are busy processing all that is important to them...
I'm sure I'd have bottled out and asked my parents to call at his age! :)