Thre have been many stories recounted these past few days.
Adding pieces to the jigsaw my children have of my life, life when I was a child visiting John and his family and when they would come and visit us - that was always fun because they needed a minivan for all the kids...
and we would head down to the beach - rock climbing was popular and there were always the boys to look after me...
fascinating insights into the past for children who are always curious about their parent's exploits when they too were children...
baby kate dragged up because she wouldn't be overtaken by the older kids... fear didn't exist - if they did it, so did she...
It was great, a game... and the bigger the slide the better...
somewhere to learn confidence and to shout as loudly, or louder than, the next person if you wanted to be heard...
I learned some real lessons with this part of my family.
It's easy for my children to get an idea of my life as a child here - they see my parents frequently and not much has changed in real terms - we explore the garden and the house and they hear tales of what I did and who was around - we look at photos and it's all in context.
This other part of life is new to them - I guess you don't talk about things until they crop up...
And when we talk - all of us, about what we remember the most, it tends to be individual times, evenings or moments that get recounted over again...
and it makes me wonder which moments will be the ones to stick in my children's memories as they grow up...
what is it that makes a moment special enough to last a lifetime?
Sunday, January 13, 2008
Stories...
Posted by
Rainbow dreams
at
Sunday, January 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That's a good question Katie. I remember some things rather vividly... some not so pleasant, and yet there are many things I am certain I don't recall at all. It is nice that they get to hear these new stories which put your life in better context for them.
Hey Honey just a quick visit to tell you I miss you and cant wait to have my computer back. I will have so much to catch up on but i cant wait.
Much love dear one xxx
Hi Jayne, I hve always wondered about how we filter information and experiences...
And I learned new information about our friend today - his obituary was in the Telegraph - he rarely talked about his work - much of it was confidential stuff but he was such a family man it didn't come into it...
it was some impressive career and far more of a key figure in many aspects of the air force and the country's defence than I realised.
More pieces of the jigsaw for me....
heck I miss him..
tomorrow evening we will be in Northumberland ready to say our final farewells on wednesday and spend some time with his family.
Hi Shaz, thanks for coming by, much love too, xxx
Post a Comment