Friday, January 25, 2008

Something you can't touch or see...

Yesterday I also met up with a remarkable lady - sadly she had fallen and so I went to visit her in hospital.

It's always been a bit of a mystery what makes this lady so special, so remarkable.... but all those who know her, talk about her in the same way.

This year she will be 99, and she is still as alert, bright and observant as she has ever been. Her face was as open and loving as ever... her eyes shone out as she took in the fact I was there and she took such pleasure in the snowdrops and violets she had been brought by other visitors - the first violet of the season she told me... She is calm and strong and exudes a serenity and wisdom that is hard to place. She listens and you get the feeling she has far more of a grasp on reality than you'll ever have. Her questions are quietly thought out and caring.

Her age makes her remarkable but I'm not sure it is just that. Certainly I won't mind reaching such a fantastic age, as long as I can live as fully as she does. I know that isn't totally my choice to make though - the years bit anyway...

I also wonder how much of how she is, is to do with her faith, a steadfast way of being, lived out in her life, but not forced onto anyone else, apart from not allowing us to buy sweets from her shop on a Sunday - we had to wait through till Monday to pay her... (that was when I was a child, and we would ride our bikes down the lane to her house, and along with the sweets we would get to look after the goats, and any other animals on the farm at that time)

She talks about things that matter, not trivial chit chat...
And perhaps because of that - each minute felt like a gift - precious and carefully chosen...

Somehow I left feeling that I was perhaps a little older and a little wiser... that although I had gone to visit her - in fact she had given me far more in return....

That is a mystery.... I wish I knew it's secret..


6 comments:

Jayne said...

We are currently treating a man who is 91 and more lucid and thoughtful than many patients I have half his age. His body is failing him a bit, but he's maintained a great sense of humor about it all. So much wisdom and eyes that see so much more.

awareness said...

Hi Katie.....

I'm on the run here......just wanted to let you know that I have passed on a gift to you. Check it out! cheers!

Karen said...

Hi Katie

I just wanted to drop in and thank you for visiting my blog today.

That was a lovely post. I am an Avon lady and I love my elderly customers the most. I always leave myself with enough time to visit with them for a while because they love to have a bit of company. They tell such interesting stories that I could listen to all day long. It's a pity more people don't take the time as they could probably learn a lot from them. I will visit again soon if that's ok.

Rainbow dreams said...

Hi Jayne, eyes that see so much more.. I know what you mean... I find these people incredible - I just want to sit and absorb their wisdom..

Dana, Thank you - you're totally daft.. mad as a march hare.. but thanks, x now what to do with it... :)

Gypsy - Lovely to see you - thank you for such a lovely coment - and please do visit soon :), x

Marja said...

Hi, What a touching story. Brings me straight back to a friend I had when i lived in Holland. I regularly drank coffee at her place after I dropped my children of at school. She was wise, more liberated than I was and I loved to listen to her stories. She was
8o than and the most remarkable friend I had. Thanks you for visiting my blog

Rainbow dreams said...

Mrja, Thank you for popping by and sharing, it really is worth spending time with friends like that..