Sunday, September 09, 2007


It's that time of year - we've exhausted the plums and the damsons and now we're onto the Bramley apples...or rather the children are...

scrumping from my parents orchard to sell on our hedge - an easy way of supplementing pocket money and having fun too.

I remember planting it with my Dad, along with many other trees when I was about their age, and we would spend many evenings walking round, chatting and looking after them as they grew. Now it's wonderful to see my children playing in their garden, my old playground... and climbing trees that were only a few feet high when we planted them...

now that does kind of make me feel older than I really am....

I was sad to see though, that something seems to be attacking many of the fruit trees and making them very sick, all apart from the bramley that is, which seems to be ok at the moment......
not sure what it is - and my parents are away. I'm sure they know.... just hope it's treatable, it would be very, very, sad to lose the orchard.

3 comments:

Jayne said...

How wonderful to be able to just pick your apples off the tree to eat. I do hope they can figure out what's causing the blight.

Rainbow dreams said...

it is wonderful - there is so much fruit at this time of year it's just good to be able to use it.

I hope they can sort it - sadly we lost all the cherry trees a few years back due to something I think was called silver leaf that had spread from one to the other and they couldn't be saved.
Will find out more later this week when they come home.

Disillusioned said...

It sounds lovely. I do hope whatever is wrong can be sorted, though.