Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Recovering

We've been feeling sorry for ourselves (collectively) today
Its been dentist day - checkups revealed both kids needed fillings - and today was the day.

When they were little we were told their enamel on their first teeth hadn't formed properly and just a sniff of sugar can - and will - cause cavities, so we have been extra careful, but still it's a hard balance, especially with them learning to brush their teeth properly themselves. It sounds small but is important!

We have fortunately found a nice dentist, but it's still a trauma - no other way of putting it.


So, we've had an afternoon of cuddling rabbits, playing with 'Bentley' - next door's dog who has adopted our garden as a place to play - watching tv ( am thankful for sky!) devouring home made soup, and just being a family - sometimes although the reasons for it aren't that great, it's good to just pull together as a family and lock the world outside while we recover

5 comments:

Scott said...

Dude and mini dudes. Just remember... the dentist sucks and they are all evil sadists. It is okay to feel this way.

Scott

Jayne said...

Ugh... it's why I find myself still brushing after Sam at the age of 14 (though his issues make it more necessary) because the very thought of having to put him through a filling sends shivers up my spine. Glad it all turned out ok and that there were cuddles all around.

Caroline said...

urgh. dentists. nightmare. have to admit my current dentist is entirely wonderful, adn I swear isn 't a day over 12 (oh goodness i am getting old).
as a kid i never did figure out the logic of being bought sweets if we were 'good' at the dentists. doh. home made soup sounds far more sensible!

Ellen said...

Your dentist would truly hate me. I have the worst case of sugar-toothitis (can eat anything I want that's loaded with suger), and have never had a cavity in my life. I just turned 49 on Sunday, and have only had my wisdom teeth extracted. The town my Grandfather grew up in in Sicily had natural floridation, and somehow all that goodness got passed down to me.
I don't know how long I can hold the record though..... but Grandpa still had his original teeth when he died at the age of 95.

Rainbow dreams said...

Thanks for the support everyone - Ellen, I wish, oh how I wish we had teeth like yours - the dentists blame antibiotics or some illness when the children were babies for their enamel not developing properly - I'm not sure what to believe, but it's a nightmare! Second teeth should be ok though fingers crossed.

Caroline, I don't get the sweet reward thing either- just doesn't make sense!