Monday, August 21, 2006

Getting arty :-)

I have always loved watching R working, painting or drawing, creating - I see it calm him, how he concentrates, gets absorbed in it, I love just being still with him - hours can pass and yet it doesn't feel long.

It's precious time.

I love my jewellery making because, to an extent, I think I feel a little of how he does painting -
I was never able to copy realistically, and was always branded no good at art at school.

However, given a different perspective since, I'd love to learn more about sculpture - to work in 3d is something I enjoy - clay, plaster of paris, wax, even sugar paste! - perhaps they're more forgiving... whatever it is, I find it easier ~ but, last night I was persuaded to grab a brush and a canvas and have a go at painting.
Again the hours flew past, it was fun, it was relaxing ~ he said it was good, I think it was childish and naive, but regardless of the aesthetics of the finished piece, there was definitely something intangible, perhaps just in the shared space with another person working, that made it special...

Who are we to judge others? If I'd believed the art teacher - and I did for a long while - and if I'd never been encouraged by R, I might never have even considered trying to paint again- and I'd have missed out on something valuable!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Art is all about expression! I have learned to care less about the result than the fact that I pour my heart into my art. (although my medium is not oil + canvas but words or crayons on paper... hehe)

Keep enjoying your arty journey!!! :-) Many smiles, have a great day

Scott said...

I respect the work that anyone puts into any kind of art, especially since I have zero art skillz.

Scott

Jayne said...

How many times do we not attempt something because we have a tape playing in our heads which tells us we can't? Bravo to you for picking up that brush and having such a smashing time!

Beth said...

goody for you - now be a brave girl and post a picture of your work so we can cheer you on!!!!!!

Rainbow dreams said...

Mel - thanks, I think now I care less about the result, I'm actually able to enjoy it more

Scott - I just have to read your blog to see more appreciation and artist in you than perhaps you think

Samtzmom - yep I know that tape inside out, but somehow having children has been a key in me pressing the off button for several things - art and sport being the main two! It certinaly is more fun with the button off though

Beth - see this is where I get stuck - although it is all about fun! we'll see about posting it :-) thanks for the encouragement