After a spell when life has been hard to keep buoyant, bouncy and holding everything together - keeping all the balls in the air at once, I've noticed there comes a time when I realise that possibly I have made it all far too complicated.... that in fact it's fairly simple...
surely there are a very few important things to live by, and hanging onto those should, in theory anyway, make life easier....
perhaps it's only in stripping away the unnecessary and focusing on the essential, that it becomes manageable...
and thats why sometimes life seems so straightforward when I sit in church.... there is no skirting around the edge - when I was out in the vast snow with beautiful people who lived simply and basically, it seemed clearer...when friends and family are ill and people close to me have died all the trimmings seem irrelevant.
What does it take to see the wood for the trees?
I wonder if sometimes we make life too difficult and then we get caught in the tangled web we have made for ourselves....
though of course I am not accounting for feelings and emotion which so often stir things up...
Some things are hard. R just said this to me about the transitions we are facing at the moment... and he is right...on one level we're heading into foreign territory and we're supposed to know what we're doing... on others we have been here before...either way it's hard... and exciting - a grand adventure with scary bits that test nerves, and offer up as yet unknown rewards...(I'm looking forward to those!)
Perhaps accepting that something is hard somehow makes it easier - instead of sinking energy into either denial, or into trying to make something it isn't, it's better to accept it as it is, and use that energy to deal with the reality....
Perhaps if we can accept that things aren't easy - that in fact they are tough, they somehow become easier, because we stop trying to fight against them...
In the end there's not much we really need to make us happy... so I wish I knew why I make such a mess from simple ingredients...
Sunday, February 03, 2008
keeping it simple....
Posted by
Rainbow dreams
at
Sunday, February 03, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
What you describe ties in a lot with mindfulness.
I think life sometimes is very difficult, and it can be very hard to just accept that. (Make that nigh on impossible for me at times!) However, it's an aim worth striving after.
Hi Caroline, I hadn't really thought about the tie in with mindfulness - it was in one of my stop and breathe moments - and now and again I am struck with how complicated I have made things...without them needing to be...
Having someone else say it's ok - what's happening isn't easy somehow made me relax about it - it's ok not to always be able to cope easily with things, and we don't always have the answers... I think we can be too hard on ourselves when actually the situations we find ourselves in are just difficult and perhaps there are no answers...
My very favorite quote in the entire world says,
"When you have come to the edge of all that you know,
And are about to step off into the darkness,
Faith is knowing one of two things will happen;
You will find something solid on which to land,
Or, you will be taught to fly."
I try to remember that so often when things seem so out of kilter. All WILL be well. It just will.
Love and hugs to you Katie.
Oh sweetness I know what you mean and I struggle with these same issues.
I love the quote Jayne offered up.
Thinking of you xxx
I love that quote Jayne - I know it will all be well - feelings fluctuate during the day - it's not all hard - just focusing and settling in to enjoy the ride instead of fighting it :)
Shaz, Thanks...xx
"perhaps there are no answers"
And isn't that the hardest thing to live with and accept?
Hi Caroline,
yes I think it is.. perhaps thats where faith comes in...
though there are also answers I don't think we always want to know about - perhaps ( though I doubt if it's often) sometimes ignorance really is the better option..
just sometimes I subscribe to fate and destiny becuase the truth will hurt too much.. and noone can turn back time...
Post a Comment