I never saw the morning til I stayed up all night
I never saw the sunshine til you turned out the light
I never saw my hometown until I stayed away too long
I never heard the melody, until I needed a song.
I never saw the white line, til I was leaving you behind
I never knew I needed you til I was caught up in a bind
I never spoke i love you til I cursed you in vain,
I never felt my heartstrings until I nearly went insane.
I never saw the east coast til I move to the west
I never saw the moonlight until it shone off your breast
I never saw your heart til someone tried to steal,
Tried to steal it away
I never saw your tears until they rolled down your face
Tom Waits..
Sitting working out the assembly instructions on a new desk and this song came on the i pod and took me back... memories of a different time and place, many years ago and late night conversations with a very dear friend who comes to visit soon.
A friend who in the space of a single evening, albeit a long one, probably embodied in the very first line of the song... helped me see things clearly enough to not pack in my degree, who through his unconditional acceptance of who I was and where I was, kept me sane through some rough times and to whom I owe much.
Hadn't been able to listen to Tom Waits for many years until fairly recently - too many memories... music can do that so easily bring back to the surface feelings and emotions kept under wraps ... but today I couldn't get this out of my head and it was good, and good to really listen again...
Sunday, July 15, 2007
A long night and Tom....
Posted by
Rainbow dreams
at
Sunday, July 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Katie - your post reminds me of why we have art...It speaks for us and through and and to us. I am often captured by songs, or photos or books...taken back to another time and place. It brings a cohesion to life sometimes...
I have to check out that song - don't know it.
every home should have tom waits - though granted some of his stuff requires a certain kind of ear
beth check it out....
Music does that to me too Katie. Boy do the memories come flooding back. I can put myself right there mentally where I was when I used to hear the song. Glad you can now hear it with new, appreciative ears.
I love those lyrics.....and don't think I know the tune....will check it out. The other day, I had Mr. Waits playing in the van when I picked Max up from somewhere....his little ears not yet in tune. His reaction was very funny. I told him it was like learning to appreciate scotch, so he has a way to go before he acquires the taste. :)
Music memories dredge up so many emotions don't they? I too have songs/artists I have a tough time listening to without big wistful pangs....Van Morrison predominantly comes to mind. But, it is what I love about music too. Each gem song can transport me fully to a time and a place and a person.......hmmmmm am thinking of a new blog post.... will have to put some thought into it.
Katie.....enjoy your reunion and the long evening meandering talks.
perhaps one day we will find ourselves doing just that? I wonder what music we will put on in the background? A little bit of Sinatra....? It may just lead to some seranading :)
I agree Beth, it does bring a cohesion to life sometimes and makes sense of things in some way I have never realised before.
Paul, some of it I haven't heard for a long time - much of I binned or left behind - though this home is appreciating having him around more now.
Jayne, it's almost like listening to it with new ears and thats good :)
Dana, My kids aren't quite sure, though they surprise me with the variety of music they do appreciate... it's interesting...
S's visit is one we look forward to every time, his kids get along brilliantly with our two and it's easy and relaxed...
I'd love to think that one one day we will do exactly that...the Sinatra coincidence makes me smile :)
Post a Comment