Sunday, July 29, 2007

If walls could talk...

We are creating more space in our home...

last year we took back one of our chalets into our living space to use for us, but so far we have only really used one room, a bedroom, which is now our study.
It has taken some time but finally we can get on with making the rest of it our own.

We chose our new paint colours before our holiday and with the beds gone and a few minor plumbing and electrical adjustments we will have somewhere the kids can go and be, relax, chill and have room to themselves. R gets a studio to paint in... and I get the kitchen and shower room at a guess... It's exciting...the changes that is...not the kitchen and shower room....

Earlier tonight though, as I sat in the now semi empty space which was the living room, I couldn't help thinking of what that space has been to so many people over the past ten years since we have lived here and even before then -
a holiday home specifically requested year after year,
a stop gap between homes,
the start of married life,
a trial run before comitting to a relationship...

it's seen single parents with young children and young families with nowhere else to go.
Most recently it was a refuge for friends of ours.


I often wonder the stories different places would tell if only they could ~
so many individuals have lived here...
so many dreams dreamed and experiences lived
feelings etched into peoples memories..

A part of me is sad we're changing it.... space is valuable...
tomorrow it will become space for guests of ours and then, after their stay, it will be ready for it's transformation and take on a whole new meaning for our family...

6 comments:

Jayne said...

How wonderful that you will have a bit more room for everyone to spread out a bit. If walls could talk... it is such a fascinating thought what all has gone on between those walls. Happy painting!

Disillusioned said...

I thought immediately of the Amy Grant song with this title. I'm sure your walls could talk of so much - and of even more in the years to come. Enjoy making the space your own, and listening to those whispered memories.

The Harbour of Ourselves said...

scary thought if walls could speak....

I agree with caroline - thought exactly the same - i still like it - brings back some good memories, and reminds me that i think every 'christian' bloke in the late 80's fancied her rotten - if you can find it, have a listen - it's on her CD 'Lead Me On'

Rainbow dreams said...

Thanks for the comments -
Jayne, we're all looking forward to having a little more space, and can't wait to start painting - I was in a bright and colourful mood when I bought them but think they'll work just fine :)
Caroline, I almost dread to think what these walls would talk of... we've had some colourful characters staying at times... I like the idea of whispered memories.

Scary thought indeed Paul ... but doesn't stop me wondering...

and thanks both of you... I hadn't heard that song before but managed to track it down - lovely lyrics, cheers.

Beth said...

Katie - I think it's cool that you can look at your physical space with such an appreciation of history. And now it takes on a completely new flavor, one that will be remembered for the future!

That song mentioned by Caroline was written by Jimmy Webb. I liked Amy's version, but adore his...it's more intense and heartfelt, I think...

Rainbow dreams said...

Hi Beth, thanks, what a real treat... your timing was perfect...just as we arrived home from the airport,x