Thursday, April 05, 2007


"How old do I have to be before I can have a mobile phone?" is a question my son has been asking ever since various friends and classmates have been being given phones.
Our answer has always been that he will get one when there is a situation that warrants him having one.
So, after much thought, and considering the fact he is away for eight days staying with one his friends over Easter, on a farm in Gloucestershire, we decided to buy a new sim card for one of our old mobiles so he would have contact should he want it...
Only problem is we then discover he's in a valley with no mobile signal.... !!! It was worth the thought though :-)

Eight days... seems like forever.... I'm counting the days, or the sleeps... just like counting down to Christmas .....
He was homesick before he went, but sounds like he's having a totally brilliant time.....
most of it sounds like activity I can condone as long as I'm not there to watch it - the kind of thing I always imagine Dads do more with sons.... mountain boarding.... I hadn't heard of it until he went... and today was going to involve a JCB!..... he is outdoors, having fun and getting muddy - and I don't have to wash his clothes... yet !

Sam is still here at home, and has spent the holiday so far mainly with a friend learning how to heelie... it looks so much fun, I can just imagine myself whizzing down the corridors of the hospital extra fast.... :)

R is decorating the chalets ready for the fast approaching season, and I should be helping more than I am, but I have had to work - the first year I have ever had to work over the Easter holidays.

However, as of today, I am officially off until next tuesday, so it's paintbrushes and gardening equipment at the ready for tomorrow - oh and time to watch Sam heelie :)

4 comments:

awareness said...

Hi Katie......

I will be going through that separation thing this summer for the first time with Max. He wants to go to camp this year for a week. It is a strange feeling to have a child make that transition.

Glad you have some time off. I too am off until Tuesday. However, gardening on my end is out of the question. We had a freak snowstorm yesterday......everything is covered with a heavy blanket of snow arrrgh.........

enjoy your outdoor time.

ps....i've always wanted to try those "heelie" shoes.....they are banned from schools here. :)

Jayne said...

Oh, how fast they do grow. Hope your holiday is lovely and not spent at any hospital...lol. Makes me want to cover my eyes with my hands and just peek out through my fingers...mountain boarding...heelies...eek!

Disillusioned said...

We went through the separation thing with our younger daughter (11) last month when she spent a week in France on a school trip. I have to say she blossomed. Even now we are noticing changes. But it takes something of a leap of faith to believe it is the right time and the right place...

Rainbow dreams said...

Hi Dana, we are managing the separation thing better than I thought - the anticipation was worse than the reality - so far anyway... I dread Sam doing it because she has never been away as yet - she will be off to London in June....
We are forecast some good weather to let us get on in the garden - so far so good :)

Jayne, thanks, I feel like that too ... God gave me a son for some reason...I am gradually getting braver :)

Caroline, I can see that happening - Richard is 11 too - it's what we want for him, to grow and develop and be confident and nurture his independence, but I pray every day.. as you say, a leap of faith...