These are coffee beans all the way from Kilimanjaro, direct from the producer - a present from my friend, the one I should have been climbing with - the aroma is amazing, rich and deep and I know I need to buy a coffee grinder in the next few days......
We finally got together to look through her photos and catch up with each other, but at the end of the afternon we realised we really needed to make an evening of it soon...
I heard about the highs and lows, about sheer effort and willpower, and how hard it was to make each step on the last stretch towards the summit.
She showed me pictures of the man who owns this coffee plantation, and told me some of his story.
It was just enough, together with the pictures, to have a tiny glimpse of his life, so very far removed from life here....
Remarkable that we share the same planet yet live worlds apart.
This week I also met an apricot and walnut producer from Pakistan, who came over as part of fair trade fortnight. His story of how fair trade is transforming the lives of people in his community is truly inspiring.
It's encouraging to see the choices we make having such a positive effect, and humbling to hear his appreciation.
It really does make a difference, and I needed to hear that, just to remind me.
We finally got together to look through her photos and catch up with each other, but at the end of the afternon we realised we really needed to make an evening of it soon...
I heard about the highs and lows, about sheer effort and willpower, and how hard it was to make each step on the last stretch towards the summit.
She showed me pictures of the man who owns this coffee plantation, and told me some of his story.
It was just enough, together with the pictures, to have a tiny glimpse of his life, so very far removed from life here....
Remarkable that we share the same planet yet live worlds apart.
This week I also met an apricot and walnut producer from Pakistan, who came over as part of fair trade fortnight. His story of how fair trade is transforming the lives of people in his community is truly inspiring.
It's encouraging to see the choices we make having such a positive effect, and humbling to hear his appreciation.
It really does make a difference, and I needed to hear that, just to remind me.

6 comments:
hi katie....your interest in fairtrade has piqued mine. I need to look into it more.
I'm just catching up.....am away from my routine and home.....I LOVE the pic from your desk! Your view reminds me of the Canadian Maritimes. I don't live close to the ocean, though the Saint John River which I can see from my living room flows down to it......
we try to get to the shore as much as we can........to take in the salt air and the wonderful everchanging view......i am missing it right now!!
maybe one day........you and I will find ourselves on the same beach! Let's invite Ellen too?
Hi Dana, thanks for coming by.
Maybe.. who knows, one day we may meet... and Ellen and anyone else would be most welcome :)
have a lovely day.
That is great. Fair trade products are fantastic and worth every penny more that they cost. Thanks for bringing up the issue.
(Interesting... now I SEE the word verification as long as I have my Safari browser open Katie. It was in Firefox that I could no longer see the letters!)
Finally, I can reply and say that the coffee beans look like they probably taste heavenly! Hope you got that grinder! Glad you got to hear about the journey up the mountain from your friend. Hugs to you!
Hi Scott, good to see you - we buy fair trade products when we can - and the children ask for us to buy them too because they like the taste aswell as the reasoning behind it - it's good to see them out there as a choice alongside other brands.
Jayne, I'm confused.... I'm not sure if I have word verification on or not... when my head is totally clear I'll investigate more!
On my list to buy (tomorrow if I feel up to it) - a coffee grinder and a corkscrew - we have the beans tempting us alongside a bottle of wine we can't open because the corkscrew snapped on me the other day! I'm certain they will taste as wonderful as they look and smell.
Much love and hugs
From where I sit, your word verification is still active. I can "see" the letters as long as I open in Safari.
Can't wait to hear how that coffee tastes!
Post a Comment