Tuesday, December 05, 2006

The process of discovery

Thoughts from today - Firstly thanks to Jayne for her recommendation of seasonal music from Jewel, which has filled our house while we decorate, and thanks to Caroline for the most compelling and interesting Esopus magazine - a present that I couldn't help but dip into whilst trying not to earmark the corners.
Esopus is an insight into artists (of all kinds) thinking, processes and work.


As someone who fell on the science side of the line at school I'm enjoying my ventures into artists worlds, much as I am enjoying the discovery of authors I hadn't come across until I started blogging - Donald Miller, Ann Lamott, Mike Yaconelli, Douglas Coupland, Frederick Beuchener and Philip Yancey. Perhaps art, faith and religion can be accessible, readable and digestible to everyday folk when presented in the right way...

A totally unrelated issue has surfaced lately since a homework was set on crude oil.
After an extremely quick search for information, the fact that "At current consumption levels, world oil supply would be gone in about 33 years" leapt out at me..... one scary thought - I knew reserves were low, but hadn't realised quite how low - in 33 years my children will be slightly older than I am now, and what then - we have to be accountable and responsible for how we live our lives and what we do to the planet.

Perhaps it's not a thought I'd have felt so strongly about had I not got children - seeing as one person I shared this with brushed it aside with an "I won't be here so it won't affect me."

I'm all for living for today - I've seen and felt far too much death not to, but tomorrow has to be planned for too

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

In regards to the oil. Believe me, the situation isn't as bad off as some individuals would portray. In the world of science and alternative fuels, there is more than ample cause to to believe that the use of hydrogen (something we have a plethora of) in place of oil based fuels will be common place.

But why not milk the cash cow oil industry while it is "running out"... It's always about the money, but no worries, your children won't have anything to worry about.

Cheers :)

Jayne said...

So glad you were able to find and enjoy Jewel this season, Katie! I have almost worn my CD out!

Rainbow dreams said...

edgewalker - thanks for your reassuring comment :)
I just think that we should be aware of the effect our actions have on this planet's natural resources and this brought it home for me how much we take for granted and so often don't think enough about the consequences of our choices.

Science is extremely good at providing yet more solutions to our problems, but it feels a bit as if we're constantly having to dig ourselves out of holes of our own making, when perhaps, with some thought and care at least some could be avoided.

Thanks for linking me :)

Jayne, i tunes came to the rescue so I could have it before Christmas... now I just need to back it up on cd!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you. Preventative actions are much better than working on the after effects of stupid choices or poor planning.

Ellen said...

Back in the 1970's the same thing about our oil reserves were the looming problems of the times. We were told that our reserves would eventually run out, and we switched to smaller cars that had better gas milage. We were told that Toyotas were the magical vehicles to drive as they got 30 miles to the gallon.

My generation was supposed to fix the ills of the world (oil consumption, pollution control, etc.)... I remember the speeches of my graduating class that promised it so. Yet, we dropped the ball when the greedy 1980's came barreling in. We got caught up on ourselves, and the money it generated for us. Then the birth of the SUV arrived, and it was the vehicle to own, as we could carry smaller versions of our "stuff" around. What about the fuel reserves then? Well, we didn't think about it, as we were better consumers then conservers.

I agree with you, it would make more sense to use measures of prevention, rather than wait for the dam to break in order to place bandaids over the cracks.

Scott said...

That comment about the oil is pretty crazy isn't it? I can't quite imagine what is going to happen in the next 30 years, it could be some exciting and innovative times or the exacty opposite.

Scott

Rainbow dreams said...

Ellen, it's so easy to be a good consumer and much harder to conserve, if it was the easy option we wouldn't have as much of a problem...thanks for coming by and commenting when you're so busy

Scott, good to see you, perhaps it's just as well we can't see into the future :)