Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Exposed

I knew it was coming, and I knew it was coming soon. We'd got away with it as long as any parent can.

I've always been honest with the kids and whatever has cropped up we've talked about, to whatever degree seemed right at the time. Sex, drugs, relationships, religion - often those questions requiring most concentration being brought up at the most awkward times...... and it's always me who gets them.

However, this was one I was dreading, the untruth we've perpetuated, loved being a part of, had to be exposed.
Why yesterday I have no idea, why in the corner of a restaurant, but suddenly it was there in front of me.

So.... deep breath

K "is anyone in your class talking about Christmas yet?"

Little R " a few"

K " do you think many people believe in Father Christmas in your class?"

Little R " I don't think many people do"

K "do you?"

Little R "I believe whatever you tell me"

K ( oh dear what have we done - this is painful, he's so trusting and beautiful and innocent still)

* K finally tells the truth *

Little R smiles "oh! thats ok, I won't tell S though"

We talk about Lapland, the magic of it and the spirit of Christmas, and thats it....



The moment had come and gone

7 comments:

Caroline said...

awwwwwwwww, hope you still get mince pies and carrots left out for [you]!!

Rainbow dreams said...

So do I Caroline - perhaps now we'll get what we want instead of all the healthy stuff they wanted to give Santa!

Jayne said...

In our house, we know the "truth" but cling to the fact that he's real as long as you believe in your heart. And, we can still hear the sleigh bell ring in the Polar Express, so that's proof enough, right? Sweetness...

awareness said...

My son is still holding out, though I'm sure it's discussed at school with his buddies.

I won't break the spell.....but if the topic is breached, I'll inform him that he has just joined a great group of people who keep a big secret and help spread the magic on Christmas morning.

Rainbow dreams said...

Jayne, see I just can't give this up in my heart, but he needed to know for practical reasons like school and peer pressure.

What I told him in the *the truth* bit was that although I still believe in him, he doesn't really exist....
but when asked about the Father Christmas we met in Lapland, we had to say we couldn't be sure - it seemed real enough to us all when we visited ...

Dana, we did say he now knew a very big secret, which is probably why he grinned and said he wouldn't tell his sister :)

This growing up is a hard business...

Beth said...

It is hard business, Katie, but it's why we have them...to grow them up and let them go...

(sniff sniff) (wiping a tear)

In our house, when they ask if Santa is real, I say, "Do you really believe that a big fat man in a red suit comes down the chimney in the middle of the night and leaves things in the house?"

They just look at me for a moment; and then they grin, with a twinkle in their eye, and we go on about our business. It's a family secret...

mister tumnus said...

oh man. 'i believe what ever you tell me'... the horror!! i think in the last couple of years i have truly learnt what the 'one day at a time' thing is all about. thinking about ana's future and how she will look to me as a role model, and then how she'll reject that idea when she finally realises the truth.... i am totally freaked out just thinking about it.... i have to go and lie down now and think pleasant, non-anxious thoughts... ;)