Wednesday, August 27, 2008
Percolating reflections
We have finally landed back home after our first ever trip to Greenbelt.
There are many thoughts and feelings floating around my head about it.
The two things people have been asking me are "have you enjoyed it?" and "what were your best bits?"
It would be easy to just say yes, I have enjoyed it, which would be honest and truthful and to pick out perhaps the obvious acts or speakers which were especially good.
However, I'm not sure that that would even scratch at doing justice to it.
A bit like percolating coffee, it is going to take a while for the full flavour of the experience to be appreciated, and it has as much, if not more to do with the 'moments' that happened along the way as it has with the more obvious.
I was very struck by the fact that Greenbelt is different things to different people fulfilling different needs on many different levels. A complex formula that brings people from all walks of life and from all corners of the globe together - even on the way home on the train I was chatting to a pastor from South Dakota who comes over especially to revive and refresh.
It is a uniquely individual experience, which was so clear in conversation with people we met along the way, who shared tables with us at the beer tent, or who we just found ourselves next to. Even just observing the vastness of the site and the numbers of people and the individuals that sat listening in many different ways to the many good talks or performances that were on.
I had no idea what I should expect and instead decided to just go, and let Greenbelt find me.
Within that vastness I was conscious of a feeling and awareness of solitude aswell as of connectedness, and there was a sense that perhaps it held the possibility to be quite lonesome, maybe... apart from the fact that somehow it wasn't, and somewhere in that lies the distinction between solitude and loneliness.
And for me there is a shift somewhere within that, that occurs on a deep and personal level whilst quietly absorbing the words and the music and the atmosphere, as the initial euphoria settles and the grass turns to mud, and the rain falls, and the festival is there waiting to be discovered, tasted and savoured.
So, knowing I have only tasted, knowing I was only ever going to taste a small part of it I am savouring the small moments as much as the big ones. Perhaps thats the draw, the sense that there is far more to be savoured, that you only ever get fed a fraction of what there is on offer - and if what you taste is good, you leave wanting more. All four of us would like to return, have been left tired and satisfied yet still wanting more. And so we will.
Children were very much a part of it and very evident - whether it was tiny tots dancing freely close up to the stage to wonderful music, or splashing in the mud while Beth Rowley sang Angels flying too close to the ground.
I missed people I very much wanted to see, yet in the waiting for a bus that failed to turn up I made some wonderful connections and shared the ride into the festival with the lovely Julie Lee, which just wouldn't have happened had I not been delayed...she was wonderful, but then so often we would wander into the performance cafe to find yet another gem of a musician previously unknown to us. There were only a couple of things I turned up to that just weren't quite my cup of tea but judging by the numbers there they obviously were someone elses, and so we moved on to another tent, another opportunity.
Very very personally Brian Houston managed to touch something very deep inside with his music, which led to some emotional and hard conversations initiated by my son about his twin who was miscarried - noone said moments had to be uplifting... they are what they are, and it facillitated conversations that couldn't be contrived, or planned, they had to happen naturally... and I am grateful for that opportunity.
There were several tearful moments for various reasons throughout the four days!
However, over the course of the festival there were also the wonderful and uplifting times, including meeting people I have only ever heard about or known through the blogosphere, putting faces to names and managing to spend at least some time with them. A text from the lovely Caroline made my Monday morning, meaning that although she couldn't make it in person, she was a part of it too. Even after the day's festival had come to a close there were more people to meet and share time with into the early hours in the hotel bar. A people filled incredibly special time all round.
One of my most beautiful peaceful experiences though was probably in the calm of a place called 'the Hub' listening to wonderful poetry by Padraig O Tuama as the festival was winding down.
I wish I had seen Pete Rollins, Ikon and Philip Yancey, oh and David Dark, he was there too and I did want to see him, but they are only names I know and had planned on seeing - I got much from those people recommended to me by others as our paths crossed and have to be content with the promise and the hope of another year.
The talks can be downloaded which is fantastic.
The experience is individual and unique.
Already life here is back to full speed and meanwhile in the background the thoughts and feelings, like good coffee, continue to percolate and infuse with a warm, rich, invigorating aroma and taste that I suspect will be felt until next time.
Posted by
Rainbow dreams
at
Wednesday, August 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
14 comments:
Sounds like a total fill up of one's cups......and lots of overflow. Wonderful.
I can see how much of what you and your family experienced needs time to percolate. It's how I imagined the experience too.....some expected moments, but mostly the unexpected. And as much as we can plan for what we want to take in, it is the collection of smaller moments which really matter, like the conversation you had with your son.
Look forward to reading more about your experience Katie and the thoughts and ideas which will be generated once the percolating happens.
I really get the feeling from your post on how it touched you - that's fantastic. So pleased you fed from it. It does take time to percolate it all, sometimes months, and then the next one comes along.
Was great spending time with you. xx
hey, was wonderful to meet you guys on the last night in the beer tent with pip, and to find out you read my blog, finally i have an audience! - That means I may need to consider to it more proper of course.....
Great to hear you loved the festival so much and hope you continue to be affected by it for the rest of your days..... bigjohn
Hi Dana, it was a very special time and place. Mostly life is full of the unexpected I find, and that tends to give more than that which is predictable.
Perhaps Greenbelt is a catalyst for all kind of wonderful things.
I need TIME and I will sort my flickr account out - is pitiful at the moment but will have photos up there as soon as I can and will link to it too.
Jules, Thank you, it was great spending time with you too :)
Some things, some times, you know you'll always remember, I am sure my first greenbelt will be one of those times...and in time the changes will become apparent ~ the way some people can, even with a few words or a shared moment alter our way of feeling and looking and create a lasting shift in perspective without it being immediately evident to anyone else looking from the outside. I think thats how I am feeling about it at the moment.
Big John, so lovely to see you here :)
It was wonderful to meet you too. Your blog is well worth a read, and I hope you don't mind that I added you to my links for easy access.
Though we did frequent the beer tent I mainly remember you from late nights in the bar with Pip and others, myself and Rob...
btw, am loving the music on your site.
Thank you, I know we will be back, had already decided that before we left, see you next year, Katie
I saw Pete Rollins. Not planned, a pure acident, and it spoke to me. I enjoyed meeting you, thank you for taking the time to find us.
I also thank you for your comments on GB. It is so much part of my lfe and it is nice to see someone else also seeing the amazing dichotomy, the togetherness and the loneliness. The way it is one thing and yet so many different things. How it brings so many variations into one place and makes them whole. Thank you for voicing my deepest whole
hi there glad you enjoyed it! ikon went well but how could we compete with michael franti? (he did end up coming through our speakers though so those of our group who were sad to miss him got a little taste of his set anyway!)
what did the rest of your family think f the whole thing? i will blog about it soon.
Merlin, good to see you here and to meet you at Greenbelt. I have a few talks I am going to download and his is one of them, I knew I wasn't going to do it all!!
And you're welcome, I think it would be good if we all took a bit of GB with us every day of the year, like medicine :)
Mr T, Ikon will be at the top of the list next year. We did see Michael Franti. We have never been to a festival as a family before and so the children were a little overwhelmed to start with not knowing what to expect.
Emmanuel Jal and Michael Franti were their first experience of loud live music and almost as soon as they felt it they had huge wide smiles on their faces.
They took a day to settle into the site, didn't want to register for the kids things but Sam did wish she had later on. Once they found their feet and were happy to wander round they had a good time. Both of them want to go next year, so i don't feel like I inflicted something on them purely because I wanted to go!!!
Rob and I have both said how it is lingering with us ~ it was him who told me tickets were already on sale for next year and he rarely thinks ahead!! :)
I look forward to your thoughts, Katie,x
Merlin,
I have had to come back because I was thinking that the really special thing (one of them) was that noone that I saw or heard or witnessed ever tried to pretend that that dichotomy wasn't there, noone ever tried to pretend that loneliness wasn't a part of it, there was no false jolliness and lets pretend.
I heard people mention grief and death and suicide and pain and being lost as a part of their journeys. It was real. It was one place it was ok to shed tears and not feel too foolish if you were spotted with a tear rolling down your cheek.
What I did see was a whole lot of embracing life and a whole lot of acceptance of each other, am processing it all slowly as to why it had such an effect.
I had heard of Greenbelt but was not really sure what exactly it was. I checked out their website. I am sure it was a very neat experience Katie. Glad you got to experience it and that it provided so many warm moments and memories for you. :c)
hey! - i should really check myblogs more carefully, my original post was meant for a couple i met in the beer tent as said.... but inadvertantly got them confused with remembering you telling me your blog name... I am good at that - getting confused! Great to spend some time with both you and R at the hotel, and your blog is great. Glad you loved the festival and are even thinking of coming back, once you get bitten you know.....bj
Thanks Jayne, it was a wonderful experience, I'm so pleased we heard about it and got to go to experience it for ourselves.
BJ, thats fine, no worries, I get confused easily too!
Hmmm once bitten indeed... am feeling it :)
That is one amazing photo!!
Thanks Julie, I liked it too - haven't forgotten you want to see them, Katie,x
ps, it was the first stop we made when we arrived...and it felt soooo good :) and then the sun came out
Post a Comment