Sunday, July 13, 2008

Four seasons in one day...

Blogging from bed on a Sunday morning...
the boys are out on a cycle ride round the island.
I'm far more comfortable sitting here with a cup of tea and the early morning sun filtering through the curtains...I'm still hiding from the day, lingering in the half light listening to life outside.

I love the different seasons, I love sitting with the sun bathing the room in different warm colours and I also love sitting here listening to the pelt of rain and the howling wind

Am also thinking that life is nothing if not real.
And real is where we've been, where we are.

Yesterday I was reading 'The Secret life of Bees' and she says that "The world will give you that once in a while, a brief time out; the boxing bell rings and you go to your corner, where somebody dabs mercy on your beat-up life"

I like that.

Now the truth is my life is far from beat-up at the moment, but it doesn't always feel like that.

Life just is real...

It is tougher than we are ever told, which is good because we'd all be scared to death of life if we knew in advance what lay ahead.
But we also cope with it as it comes to us, and perhaps we should be told that in advance.
In essence my life is good right now, but I've been struggling, we have been struggling together.
It's not that sense of responsibility and the frightening permanence of parenthood, it's not the letting go, it's not being scared of the future, or drugs or violence or any of the big issues I worry about..
there has been more than enough to worry about in the here and now.

None of us come with guide books, instruction manuals - sure people write things that seem to aim to fill that purpose and I guess they do help to a degree - I have some here that have been helpful at times, along with my friends and other parents, and the odd bottle of wine or two over the years!
When children are small there are definite developmental stages and for the most part we are guided through. School helps too, they more or less do the same things around about the same time.

Now though, we seem to have hit a divide - the rule book, for what it is worth has been thrown away, washed downstream (gone to be recycled with the wine bottles no doubt!), everyone is developing at their own rate, there is no planning, the vast open space of independence is beckoning and looks very enticing.
Yearnings, desires, feelings and emotions, learning not to react, reacting anyway, confusion, wanting security but wanting to exert independence and push the freedom boundaries all the same!

wanting boundaries, but not wanting to be controlled, or told, or guided even...

We are out of the estuary and lost at sea without a compass... learning to use the stars and seeking reassurance from them... but we're all alone in this boat and the best we can do is shout to others for encouragement... all of a sudden we're all at different points.
We scratch around for what might be of some practical help, relevant and useful...

we have had some really stormy times lately and then some days when we seem to have cracked it.. but it only lasts for that day - or that moment in a day - there is no time for complacency. We are kept on our toes!

I think we're doing ok - spoke to some other crew from a similar ship recently as we watched to sun go over the yardarm.. ok, we had dinner together over a few drinks and compared notes!!

I have seriously questioned the wisdom of some of our earlier choices but we live with them and their consequences in this reality, and who knows in another time, another place, if we could go back and do it all differently perhaps we would...or maybe not!

add to that family and financial matters, and it's easy to feel as if life has beaten me up and left me in need of dabs of mercy or grace...

thats what the sun feels like this morning... grace in my corner.

which is wonderful when the winds can change at any time and frequently do - and we can end up with four seasons in one day...


and as it's in my head... the lyrics!


Four seasons in one day
Lying in the depths of your imagination
Worlds above and worlds below
The sun shines on the black clouds hanging over the domain

Even when youre feeling warm
The temperature could drop away
Like four seasons in one day

Smiling as the shit comes down
You can tell a man from what he has to say
Everything gets turned around
And I will risk my neck again, again

You can take me where you will
Up the creek and through the mill
All the things you cant explain
Four seasons in one day

Blood dries up
Like rain, like rain
Fills my cup
Like four seasons in one day

It doesnt pay to make predictions
Sleeping on an unmade bed
Finding out wherever there is comfort there is pain
Only one step away
Like four seasons in one day

Blood dries up
Like rain, like rain
Fills my cup
Like four seasons in one day

7 comments:

Jayne said...

(((((Katie))))) Thank goodness the thing we do know is that the season DO change. The view adjusts and we are happy for the new vistas!

Baby-Sweet-Pea said...

Awesome post. I especially like the quote from the book you were reading. I think I am being dabbed with a little mercy right now. Hoping to make it through the changing seasons. It is an adventure.

Beth said...

Katie, what's that lyric? Very nice...

I LOVED 'Secret Life of Bees' - powerful book...good lessons....

Praying for you and whatever comes. Sounds like you have a decent perspective on it all.

Rainbow dreams said...

Hi Jayne, I am ever thankful for the change of seasons... and trusting that things alter over time...It's true that round every corner there is another view. That is good although often we are sad to leave the past wonderful vista behind too with only memories to hold onto.

babysweetpea - thank you, I just liked the idea of being dabbed with mercy. I love adventures, but every true adventure has to be a little unknown and a little scary too I suppose. Guess it comes with the territory.

Beth, it's four seasons in one day from crowded house, just was buzzing through my head and fitted with how it's been lately!
I am loving it too - have had it here sitting waiting to be read for probably years..
Thank you, have felt inadequate and wonder is love really enough? I'm sure it is a good start!

VioletSky said...

Oh my. I have read this post several times to take it all in.
I have been thinking my life is so boring. Now, I'm thinking maybe it's just that it is so uncomplicated.

Also enjoyed Secret Life of Bees, btw. And Crowded House.

Anonymous said...

oh, I had forgotten about The Secret Life of Bees - I must re-read at once! My life feels like it has been in the fast lane of a crash course lately so I am waiting for the bell to ring too. Beautiful post.

Rainbow dreams said...

Violet sky, uncomplicated is certainly not boring!! Mine is just getting even more interesting I think!
Am loving secret life of bees

Jenny, hope the bell rings soon for you. I got this book free with a magazine and never got around to reading it till now.. wish I had picked it up sooner!